How do you deal with Christians who won't take NO for an answer?

My husband is Jewish. I'm a former Catholic however I identify myself more Jewish than Catholic much less Christian. Today my husband, daughter and her friend are working on my vehicle when these four Christian women come up trying to sell some Christian magazine. I'm in the window watching (and listening) to it all.

The hubby kept telling her not interested and she kept insisting, "But you can be a better Christian!" The hubby got fed up and snapped at her, "WE'RE JEWISH!" And she said, which mind you made me roar with laughter, "but you can be a better CHRISTIAN!" Annoyed because he's in the middle of trying to fix my vehicle he turns around and tells, "Look, MY people were the ones who were slaves in Egypt, parted the Red Sea, wandered the desert. All your religion has ever done was take credit for it and force people to convert or killed them when they wouldn't! Now if you don't mind you can see we're BUSY so please leave my property."

It's so annoying when you have Christians - no offense to those who are - won't take NO for an answer. Not everyone wants to convert so STOP trying to peddle your religion to those who don't want to hear it!

So how do you deal with Christian who won't take NO for an answer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Religious Debate

• They were out of line, and what they said to your husband was ridiculous and rude.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• When I have the time, I really enjoy talking with them.  They expect to be shunned.  They don't expect to be politely questioned or challenged.

One time last year, a couple of elderly ladies from the local JW church came by to "share".  I told them straight away that I'm atheist, so they thought it might be because I simply haven't heard all the good news.  I asked them some questions that they said they'd have to get back to me on.  My husband came to the door (we were standing on the porch), coming up with all sorts of "emergencies" to save me, but I was having too much fun.  Ultimately, they said that they'd like to come by and talk with me again (armed with more convincing arguments, I'm sure).

I was actually looking forward to it.  They never came back, though.  They never do . . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• ive never had that problem. one of the few great things about living in a heavily Baptist state, is that everyone assumes your Baptist too or you're at least Christian. the few times ive been approached on campus (the crazed "you evil kids" "here take a Bible" types) ive just quoted the Bible back to them...so far ive known more Bible than them so they back off haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• My son who is high functioning autistic, was "recruited" by some evangelicals at his school. They were like sharks hunting for prey. Those of us with autistic kids know how gullible, and easily manipulated they can be. There world is also EXTREAMLY black and white. They gave him a bible, (their version)and a book that told him he should be willing to die for God, and it said he must shun anyone, even his family, if they do not have the same beliefs as their church. This scared the hell out of me.     I called the "church" ( I think it's a cult) and said my son is a minor, and I don't want him involved in your church. I also called the mother of one of the kids and told her I did not want her son anywhere near my son. Thankfully, she did as I asked. It took a long time, but  gradually, he dropped it.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 7:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• they are only doing the work of jesus.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• This isn't just for the Christians. This is for the kids selling over priced stuff that refuse to take no for an answer or the hunters that want to use your woods, fish in your lake, etc. There's a lot of rude people out there that just don't seem to understand the words "Sorry not interested" "No" "Go Away" etc. They seem to think that they are nice people and you should listen to them and do as they want. Personally I just say not interested and shut the door.

As a Christian I don't think these ladies were Christians. You may mention something to someone once but if they say no then you leave. You don't shove something in their face. Nothing is a bigger turnoff then someone trying to force you to buy something. Most Christian churches that I know of don't do any kind of sales. If they need to raise money for something they simply take a free will offering.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

*******************************
    uhhh, no they are not. That is not the work of jesus. That is the work of self righteous arrogant assholes trying to play "god".
    People should know the difference.
    Jesus would probably be ashamed of someone claiming to do his "work" when they act like that.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Curious why the resident derailer hasn't popped in to complain about the mischaracterization of Christians as never taking no for an answer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Just tell them you'll save them a seat in hell... It really works
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• "they are only doing the work of jesus."

I find it hard to believe that harassing is the work of Jesus...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2013