How do you deal with Christians who won't take NO for an answer?

My husband is Jewish. I'm a former Catholic however I identify myself more Jewish than Catholic much less Christian. Today my husband, daughter and her friend are working on my vehicle when these four Christian women come up trying to sell some Christian magazine. I'm in the window watching (and listening) to it all.

The hubby kept telling her not interested and she kept insisting, "But you can be a better Christian!" The hubby got fed up and snapped at her, "WE'RE JEWISH!" And she said, which mind you made me roar with laughter, "but you can be a better CHRISTIAN!" Annoyed because he's in the middle of trying to fix my vehicle he turns around and tells, "Look, MY people were the ones who were slaves in Egypt, parted the Red Sea, wandered the desert. All your religion has ever done was take credit for it and force people to convert or killed them when they wouldn't! Now if you don't mind you can see we're BUSY so please leave my property."

It's so annoying when you have Christians - no offense to those who are - won't take NO for an answer. Not everyone wants to convert so STOP trying to peddle your religion to those who don't want to hear it!

So how do you deal with Christian who won't take NO for an answer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Religious Debate

• PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Threaten to dedicate your next animal sacrifice to her if she keeps talking?
    Seriously though, I always have a ton of snappy comebacks after the fact. Usually they catch me off guard and I end up laughing and saying "Oh boy, do you ever have the wrong house!" The last time, my husband answered the door and told them to go away. Then 30 seconds later, I heard him giggling like a child, when he realized he was wearing his "Don't tell me about your god and I won't tell you about my evil" shirt.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I probably would have looked at her and said, "Maybe YOU need to work on being a better Christian!" lol

I tend to be polite until they piss me off. Once they piss me off, I flat out tell them, "Look, you're entitled to your beliefs, as am I. And unless you'd like to stand here and listen to me explain why you should become a pagan and allow me to try to force you to do so, you need to back the hell off." Then I will either tell them to get off my property and shut the door, or walk away if I'm out somewhere.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Maybe next time be like "Do you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?" Then just screeeeeeam. That could be entertaining.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• When I have the time, I really enjoy talking with them.  They expect to be shunned.  They don't expect to be politely questioned or challenged.

One time last year, a couple of elderly ladies from the local JW church came by to "share".  I told them straight away that I'm atheist, so they thought it might be because I simply haven't heard all the good news.  I asked them some questions that they said they'd have to get back to me on.  My husband came to the door (we were standing on the porch), coming up with all sorts of "emergencies" to save me, but I was having too much fun.  Ultimately, they said that they'd like to come by and talk with me again (armed with more convincing arguments, I'm sure).

I was actually looking forward to it.  They never came back, though.  They never do . . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• PartyGal... I think I am going to print copies of that pic and start handing those out to door knockers.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• That's not just Christians, that's any salesperson. I just tell them flat out I'm not interested and then walk away.

Answer by missanc at 3:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I deal with them the same way I deal with anyone who doesn't take no for an answer, ignore them. Walk away. Or like your husband tell them to leave my property. I have a big problem with people who just don't listen...whatever the reason.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Your DH was a lot nicer than I would have been!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• My son who is high functioning autistic, was "recruited" by some evangelicals at his school. They were like sharks hunting for prey. Those of us with autistic kids know how gullible, and easily manipulated they can be. There world is also EXTREAMLY black and white. They gave him a bible, (their version)and a book that told him he should be willing to die for God, and it said he must shun anyone, even his family, if they do not have the same beliefs as their church. This scared the hell out of me.     I called the "church" ( I think it's a cult) and said my son is a minor, and I don't want him involved in your church. I also called the mother of one of the kids and told her I did not want her son anywhere near my son. Thankfully, she did as I asked. It took a long time, but  gradually, he dropped it.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 7:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2013