Is it possible to feed your kids -too- healthy of food?

A friend of mine has always been kinda diet crazy- which isn't a bad thing! But it looks like her DD who is 4 is SO skinny! In a swim suit you can see her ribs, hip bones and spine!! My DD is 5 and she is thin but I can't count her ribs...

Her DD's meal look about like this (I see them several times a week and we talk alot)

Breakfast fruit and no sugar cereal with skim milk
lunch fruit, veggie, lean meat, skim cheese slice ( usually no bread or anything at lunch) with water
snack fruit with water
dinner- lean meat, whole grain, 2 veggies. with skim milk.

Her DD is not allowed to eat cake or candy even at parties- she brings her yogurt ( yogurt or sorbet are her special treats )

Can this be not enough calories for a growing child?

I know everyone will say her ped should know but they do not do vaccines of yearly check ups. Her DD has not seen a doctor in 2 years and then it was because she had bronchitis.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Too healthy? No, I don't think so. Not enough? Yes, definitely possible. Kids that age do need calories and fat to grow. There are healthy ways to do this, like avocados and nuts.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I have never seen anything in their house that is not low fat or no fat. She takes that diet pill that makes it so you can't eat fat... I don't know what it is called so she says she can't have it in the house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• sounds like she could use some more fats -there are healthy ones if that's what mom is worried about...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• *why pay money for a stupid pill? UGH

that does not mean her daughter should not have them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• You can severely limit their caloric intake,yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I'd say the quality of food she eats is admirable...but the quantity may be lacking enough calories and fat. Children need both to grow and for brain development....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• young kids need good fats in thier bodies and higher calories I'd say
    to deprive her kid totally of sweets is a little harsh but her right to do so, all in moderation I say.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I wish sweets did not exist!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• In a sense yes because kids need a lot more fat and calories in their diet than adults do. It can be hard to adjust to what each kid needs.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I have 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl. The girl has always been on the small side. And the boys, who eat the same foods have completely different body types. DS1 is tall and you can always count his ribs, and he is always eating. It's healthy food. DS2 is also tall, but he is a lot heavier. He also eats healthy foods. Their bodies process the foods differently.

Just because a mom doesn't allow sweets doesn't mean that her child is being fed irresponsibly or too healthy of a diet. But if she is imposing her food issues onto her DD, that's another story.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2013