Is it possible to feed your kids -too- healthy of food?

A friend of mine has always been kinda diet crazy- which isn't a bad thing! But it looks like her DD who is 4 is SO skinny! In a swim suit you can see her ribs, hip bones and spine!! My DD is 5 and she is thin but I can't count her ribs...

Her DD's meal look about like this (I see them several times a week and we talk alot)

Breakfast fruit and no sugar cereal with skim milk
lunch fruit, veggie, lean meat, skim cheese slice ( usually no bread or anything at lunch) with water
snack fruit with water
dinner- lean meat, whole grain, 2 veggies. with skim milk.

Her DD is not allowed to eat cake or candy even at parties- she brings her yogurt ( yogurt or sorbet are her special treats )

Can this be not enough calories for a growing child?

I know everyone will say her ped should know but they do not do vaccines of yearly check ups. Her DD has not seen a doctor in 2 years and then it was because she had bronchitis.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I'd say the quality of food she eats is admirable...but the quantity may be lacking enough calories and fat. Children need both to grow and for brain development....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Too healthy? No, I don't think so. Not enough? Yes, definitely possible. Kids that age do need calories and fat to grow. There are healthy ways to do this, like avocados and nuts.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• It sounds like the quality of the food is fine, but the quantity of it may be questionable. It sounds like your friend is concerned about being overweight herself and is limiting her daughter as a result. If her daughter had her own weight issues, I'd say that's a good thing. But if the daughter has shown no sign of having weight issues, then I'd be concerned not only about whether she's getting enough to eat but also whether her mother might be giving her an unhealthy idea about food and weight and body image and all that goes along with those things.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• young kids need good fats in thier bodies and higher calories I'd say
    to deprive her kid totally of sweets is a little harsh but her right to do so, all in moderation I say.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• It could be that she's not getting enough fat. Even when eating veggies, a little bit of fat is actually good because it helps the body process the nutrients within the veggies. If everything in the house it nonfat or lowfat it could be that she's also not able to process the healthy foods she is eating. So basically, yes it can do more harm than good, especially in a child. There are healthy fats that even dieting adults should be eating. Avocados, nuts, etc. are healthy fats that can actually help boost the nutritional value of other foods.

My bigger concern is that mom isn't taking her to regular check ups. Even if they don't vaccinate, young children need annual check ups to make sure they are healthy. It seems like mom is too obsessed with dieting, and that maybe she's afraid of what the doc will say about her dd's weight.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• You can severely limit their caloric intake,yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I wish sweets did not exist!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• In a sense yes because kids need a lot more fat and calories in their diet than adults do. It can be hard to adjust to what each kid needs.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• My bigger concern would be the obsession with diet tat the woman is passing down to her daughter. No cake or candy, even at parties, no fat in the house--it all sounds good, but young girls are soon enough influenced to start worrying about their bodies and their weight, and too often, that wrry turns into illness. My sister and I both dealt with anorexia, and I think a lot of the reason for it was the overimportance placed on being thin and athletic, looking good, etc, in our childhood home. Healthy foods are great; obsession with anything is definitely not.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I have never seen anything in their house that is not low fat or no fat. She takes that diet pill that makes it so you can't eat fat... I don't know what it is called so she says she can't have it in the house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2013