Do you think certain business's cater to stay home parents or working parents?

I just have notice that library's cater story time during the day and some dance classes are during the time when most people are still at work or at least on their way home. I am lucky I found one with saturday classes but any make up classes she can't go because all the make up classes are during the week at like 4. like who is out of work at 4. I know some are and in a perfect world yes. But another dance school had preschool hours at 10am and no saturdays. kind of unfair as far as I am concerned. or maybe it's because it's a way for them to be socialized and they figure most kids that stay home need those types of classes to soclize during the day and not wait all day or go on a saturday. I am not bashing it or anything but just an observation. Have you notice anything like that? is there anything that you wanted to participate with your LO and the time just conflicted if you are a working mom more so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Most businesses offer services at times when they know they will get the most business. Our karate school doesn't even open until 3:45, because that's after kids are out of school. A while back, a couple of moms asked if they would offer daytime classes for homeschoolers, but there wasn't enough interest for it to pay off for them to have daytime hours. Adult classes are only at 7:30 pm, and I would have liked earlier adult classes, but they don't offer adult classes at any other time. They figure that's the best time because most adults are finished with work by then. It isn't necessarily catering to one group or the other, but having times that will pay off with the most business.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I think it's more a matter that the people who teach those classes are working away from home to teach, and they want to be home in the evenings with their own families.... What they do is their 9 - 5 job just like yours is.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I agree with JJK. Businesses figure out when the most profitable times to be open are. We have a local water park, and some people wanted it to be open till eight-thirty instead of six on summer evenings so working parents could take their kids. But the management said it wouldn't be profitable because if they were open ten to six they could hire only one set of lifeguards and staff for a full shift, but if they went longer, they'd have to split shifts and get part timers. They were open on weekends, though.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• When the girls were little I worked full time. Their dad worked almost 24/7. They always took ballet. I never noticed if there daytime classes. The girls always took Saturday classes. When the oldest got into gymnastics, I worked at the studio as well. The only time we held daytime classes were for the home-schooled children. All other classes were in the evenings and Saturdays.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Could be.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• My friend owns a dance studio. She offers classes depending on when the most students will utilize that time. The toddler/preschool age classes seem to fill up more during the morning hours (either sahm's or nannies bring the kids). The 4-5 year old classes are right after school around 4 and then the later it gets the older the age for the class. The other reason they are in the morning is that nap time is in the afternoon, and then the older kid spots are in the after school/evening hours. She also offers toddler and preschool classes on Sat mornings.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• yeah I understand that. even I seen that the classes at the gym are geared towards people that do not work. but then again I live in a area that has alot of retirees too. So it could be that too. the ymca has swim classes on saturdays though but during the week alot of classes like tumbling are like at 3:30pm. Don't get me wrong my mom was a teacher and she was a coach for tennis so I did my activities in the summer or on the weekends or someone else took me. I am a single mom and I was just looking at that. just figured I would ask and see if anyone else saw that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2013