Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does this work ladies? (IRS & CS)

My dh is now paying for 8 months of back CS he went thru all the paper work on how he will pay he decide thru his payroll check and that was that everything was all straighten out even his ex was good with it but today we recieve a letter from the IRS stating that they were going to deduct what he owes. ???

Obviously he's gonna pay but not in one lump sum.

Who does my dh talk to re-do this again?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • As far as I know back child support always gets taken out of tax doesn't matter if there is another agreement in place. Child support enforcement basically has the philosophy that the children need the money to be provided for, and they get it the most expedient way possible...

    Answer by Nimue930 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

  • They're taking your tax refund. Period

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

  • Yup, you can't do anything about that. Once you get that letter, it's bye bye tax refund. Sorry.

    Answer by m-avi at 6:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

  • Yes. Dh's ex wife is getting the refund money we got back for my daughter. I know it sucks, but look at it this way: at least it'll be over with and you won't owe anymore back child support after this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

  • It's going, regardless of your other agreement. Once they resort to taking the tax refund, they're going to take it regardless - even if he pays it all up first. Then he'd have to go through the hassle of getting the refund refunded.

    Just look at it as a good thing: it'll be paid up current then - or at least have a good chunk of it paid. You don't say why it wasn't paid (and I'm not asking you to), so I'll just say that in the future, it might be good to try to come up with a plan to avoid him being behind again.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 6:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

  • The payroll deductions will help keep it current. His tax refund is gone.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:35 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.