Ordering a rug on line - help

I found a great deal on a Mohawk brand rug online. It's rug thickness is 0.4''. I do not want to get stuck a gain with a thin, cheap rug. Can anyone inform me about rug thickness? Is this a thin or thick rug? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Well, I think it really depends on where you will use it. That thickness is less than 1/2 an inch. I bought one online that is less than 1/2 an inch thick and it has nice sculpting in it around the flowers. But I use it in an eating area that doesn't get tons of use. I would not pick it for a room that gets a lot of traffic or use, like a family room. If you want a plush feeling you might want to get one that is a little thicker IMO.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I do want a more plush rug. It is for my living room, between my sofa & tv. The other rug I got was really thin & it got dirty quickly.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Light colored rugs will show dirt faster no matter how thick they are. You might also see if Scotchguard can be used on rugs. I have never used it for that, but i think you might be able to. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Ohhh we just did this in our house!
    Be oh so careful when you buy rugs! Find out if it has rubber on the bottom it should be woven wool. That you can see the design on the top and bottom. If you can't stay away from it! The ones with the rubber on the bottom SMELL when you try to wash it...
    Do you plan on spending money? I would suggest go to Craigs list in your area. We bought our first rug - BIG NO NO! It had rubber on the bottom and after we bought it my husband read how those are the worst to buy! Then we found 2 sellers on Craigs list selling Kharstan rugs for $150 and $400...we bought both - OMG they are worth $3000 each! Just at least look - they filled our livingroom and dining rooms and for that price you can't beat it! ANYWHERE!!

madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• doesn't sound thick to me. try www.overstock.com and read reviews. I agree about the rubber bottom that stinks. We ended up buying a Persian rug locally for 4000 and it's been good for 8 years but recently got some moth or something eating it. Such a bummer. Next time, i'm not spending as much.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I've bought a Mohawk rug online not too long ago.Half an inch is considered long in fiber (shag like but not necessarily thick). You can only tell the thickness (density of the fibers) by looking at the pics and how it is weaved (tufted, knotted, braided, etc.) I bought mine from Home Depot and you can easily check it out in advance, return it if you don't like what you order. Also consider the fiber it's made from. Olefin fiber is also stain and fade-resistant.

http://www1.macys.com/campaign/buyingguides/arearug/index_popup.jsp

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=KH_BG_Area_Rugs&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• That will not be plush.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2013