If you have an older dog with a sensitive stomach?

What brand of food do you feed him?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2013 in Pets

• If it's really bad, you can get a rescription from your vet for ZD Ultra from Hills, but that makes Science Diet look like the cheap stuff. Also, ask your vet about Ptyalin Power, which is a daily medicine that helps a lot. Most dogs won't eatit unless you put it in capsules and stuff it down their throat, or mix it into a ball of cheese or peanut butter and throw that in their food. My dog eats it sprinkled on her food, but she's a Labra-Hoover.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I had a greyhound who are notorious for having sensitive stomachs he was fed Canidae it's a little pricey.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I was told by the vet do not ever go cheap on dogs and their food. I had a dog and it kept farting horribly! Found out it was the dog food!
    All depenting on how much you want to spend..Science diet dog food is good. Also put plain yogurt mixed in their food, something about the yogurt tends to sooth the stomach. My folks did it too, and the dog loved licking the spoon after.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• A few tsp's(depends on weight) of canned pumpkin also help with flatulence with dogs.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• seriously I'd ask the vet what they suggest... we switched to the Science Diet and it really helped, but it's pricey.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• OMG Science Diet is far from GOOD! Vets get paid to push that food. Just look at the ingredients! Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for ratings. I always stick with 4 & 5 star brands, but there are a FEW 3 star that are okay if you're on a tight budget. Just keep in mind that with the higher quality foods, you feed less so the price balances out. My Sheltie is almost 7 & I currently feed Whole Earth Farms by Merrick. She and my other dogs love it and do very well on it.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 6:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2013