Has it really been postponed?

I keep seeing commercials for the digital conversion that says it's changing over on the 17th. I thought part of the stimulus was to postpone it. What's really going on?

3earthangels

Asked by 3earthangels at 12:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yeah its postponed until like june it hink
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• That wasn't part of the stimulus at all...but it has indeed been postponed. And believe me...broadcasters are FUMING. Runnin an analog transmitter is very expensive in terms of power. The bill for my station is $20K a month, and now we'll have to keep paying it till June.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It is now postponed until sometime in June, stupid I know they made such a huge deal about it changing this month but changed the date at the last minute to June I guess because of the economy no one can afford to get that box thing you are supposed to have
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• They've been making a big deal about it for YEARS, too! The National Ass'n of Broadcasters started putting the word out some 5-6 years ago. Every TV station in the nation has been required to run public service announcements about the transition for more than a year. Everyone did news coverage.

But still....people either didn't get it or decided, "I've got plenty of time." And then there weren't enough boxes!

It's been surprising to me because I thought cable penetration was far more widespread int he US than it apparently is. the only people who need the boxes are those who get their TV from an antenna.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Because Democrat Lawmakers are wanting MORE money to be given to people (stimulus) to buy these boxes that are ALREADY in inventory. The conversion has been put on hold. This will do nothing to stimulate the economy. This will do nothing to create jobs. This is hundreds of millions of dollars in liberal spending.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:13 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I know a lot of stations are going to change anyway on the 17th of Feb. Some of our local stations here in NC are still stopping analog then.
    AbesMom23

Answer by AbesMom23 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• They are still changing over here on the 17th
    ommy47

Answer by ommy47 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• The mandatory switch is delayed, however many stations will be converting as originally scheduled this month, or lowering their analog signal so not as many people can still pick it up.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• They delayed the switch until sometime in June, but it was going to cost some stations too much money to delay the switch, so they included a part that says stations can switch anytime after the 16th of February.
    All the new law did was cause more confusion, we have some channels switching on the 17th and others waiting until June.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• They did not postpone the switch. Stations have been free to convert at any time - some even converted last year. This is a deadline - the absolute last possible date to convert without getting fined, which is what really makes this gigantic waste of money all the more ridiculous. They extended the last possible date to switch under the pretense of distributing more coupons, but they (congress) ignored the fact that the stations can switch any time they like, as governed by the FCC (completely different agency with nothing to do with congress). All of those stations are paying thousands of dollars daily to maintain both analog and digital signals, and they all filed the FCC paperwork with intention to switch date before the bill passed. Most of them are still switching because congress has no right or power to tell them they can't. Only the FCC can and only a few stations are staying until June.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2009