Would you ever have a baby in some of these places?

My SIL is and her Husband are planning to go to his country of origin after he finishes law school in a few years. So they're going back to not quite rural but not quite big city Nigeria. They are 10th in the world for maternal mortality.
We have a family friend who lives in a poorer part of India because her Husband is trying to start schools for the blind. Because her and her Husband are blind and poor(he makes very little and puts it back in the school) they will be stuck having the baby at home.

I have to be honest I think I'd fly home then have to have the baby even if it meant doing it without my Husband rather then settle for the local midwife. Both of them seem to want their Husbands there and my friend had her first had home here in the states so I guess she's comfortable with homebirth. It just feels like a home birth in Virginia close to a hospital with a CPM is a tiny bit safer then a homebirth with a traditional midwife 30 miles from the nearest hospital plus horrible traffic.
What do you think? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Ok?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I am sure I would research and weigh my options heavily then I would do what I felt was right at the time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• How would you even research properly though? Most of it would be word of mouth.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I could never. My Dad is an OB/GYN and my whole life my sisters and I just knew we'd be in a hospital with an MD delivering (as it turns out, 12) our kids.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I would be afraid to give birth in those places. I had thought it would be cool to deliver at home before I had my baby, but it was a good thing I didn't, since she got stuck in the birth canal with her head at an odd angle and then went into distress and had to be taken by a hasty C-section. I shudder to think what would have happened if I weren't in a competent hospital with modern medicine at my disposal
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I think I would sit my husband down and talk to him the pro's and con's of having the baby in a third world setting and let him know i was uncomfortable with it and that I would want to fly home and have the baby and when the baby was ready enough to fly then we could go back.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 7:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2013