16 yr old alone over night

would you leave your 16 yr old son alone over night at home. we have an alarm system and a large dog.

i am not worried about him leaving or partying. this is purely a safety matter that i am asking about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I personally would not.  If something was to happen God forbid, you will never forgive yourself.  My teen is 13 and has never been left home alone overnight.  Only during the day.  And even so, i call her all the time. I would not leave her home alone overnight at 16.  I would be too scared.  THere are too many crazy people in this world, and even though you have an alarm, you dont know who is watching you leave the house!!

WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2013

• I wouldn't. Is there not a friend he could spend the night with?

Answer by missanc at 6:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Like amanda, my parents left me home for the occasional weekend when I was 13 or 14. But it depends on his maturity and especially, his ability to deal with emergencies. If he's the kind who panics when something happens, I wouldn't. Also, when my parents did it, there was usually a neighbor or a close friend who was close enough (distance wise) to check in on me occasionally and to come to my aid if there was some kind of emergency. If you don't have someone like that for him, and couldn't get back to him fairly quickly if something were to happen, I wouldn't.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Depends on how safe your neighborhood is, if you have good, close neighbors he could call, if he's mature enough. I'm always worried about the freaks out there nowadays...and I'm in a good neighborhood but I'm in a city. You just never know. Alarm is good though...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• No.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• No.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• You're not worried about him sneaking a girl in? That's what I would worry about, only because that's what I was doing at that age. Either way, no I wouldn't be comfortable with it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• no, i'm not worried that he will do something like that. i am more worried about things that could happen or go wrong at the home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• he can come with us where we are going. i just wasn't sure if staying home should be an option.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I wouldn't
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2013