Babysitting while parents are off on vacation....

I nanny for a family of 2 kids ages 3, and 5. Their parents are going out of town for 6 days. This is the first time they have left their kids overnight. I have been nannying for them 2 and a half years. Right now I get paid $100 a day for a 14 hour day. I'm not sure what I should charge for 6 days/24 hours. I also have to provide the food. I'm keeping them in thier house and their older brother will be there and I will also have to provide food for him but he is old enough to not needing any care at all. What would you charge??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• $900 that's 150 per 24 hours and still seems a bit low. Why are you providing the food in their house? If they are expecting you to shop then I would ask for a grocery allowance as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• How much help do you get during the day when they are with you for 14 hours? If you get no help then I would say around $200 per day. If you normally get help I would say more like $250 per day. You are not only providing full time care, house sitting, and cooking and even though their son is older you are still providing meals for him.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I would include cost for food but not for overnight. I'd charge for a typical day plus food and activities and transportation. They'll probably give you a bonus if they can afford it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• you only make $7.14 per hour?
    and they expect you to buy food for their three kids out of those wages?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• No less then $200/day PLUS the actual cost of the food & gas!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I don't buy the food for when I nanny for them on a daily basis. But while they are gone I will have to buy the food.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I would divide the money. My money and food money. I would double your nanny fee. And depending on how the kids eat. I would ask for $500 to a $1000 for food. Or if possible just ask for a credit card/giftcard for food.

Answer by louise2 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• while they are gone I will have to buy the food.

if they cannot afford to buy food for their three children for 6 days then perhaps they dont need to go on vacation.
    or you should begin looking for another job.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I would charge 150 per day, they will sleep part of the time and so will you.
    then I would keep a receipt for food and any extras divide it by how many of you there are and give it to them.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• when i say divide, I do that because I am going to eat even if I am not sitting so I would provide my own food
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2013