Looking for safety information

My Sister in Law wants a home birth(it's getting to really be a pattern for Dh's family). She is an obese woman with pre-diabetes before she got pregnant and she's not really interested in giving up her ice cream.
I'll look around a bit more online but other then the one's I'm familiar with(ie shoulder dystocia, macrosomia,stillbirth,neonatal hypoglycemia). Are there any other risks specifically from her obesity and or diabetes?
I'm just trying to make a list of supplies for my EMT bag to take since several of the women in the family are going out there to support her for the last 4-6 weeks.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2013 in Pregnancy

• My boyfriend's ex had gestational diabetes, and the doctors were worried about her giving birth to very large babies, which is why she had one C-section and one induction. Both babies were normal, but I think that's a concern with moms who have blood sugar problems.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• Sounds like you've gotten most of them. I believe that obesity predisposes a woman to blood clots in the legs post-birth, but I wouldn't swear to it. I hope everything goes ok for her. Will she at least have a liscensed midwife with her for the birth?
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2013

• So she is fine though/has no health complications?
    You probably won't need to worry about it, her midwives will cover it and of course, IF anything happens, those emts and doctors will deal. You can spend some time learning about other ways to support moms, too.
    Congrats to her! GL!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• She's not that pregnant(20ish) yet and is already having symptoms of blood sugar issues and she's measuring too large already. This girl should at least be checking her blood sugar levels and reporting on them. I know that the dates could be off but an ultrasound is in order to check for polyhydroamnios.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2013