Anyone know what could be wrong?

I am planning on seeing if I can get into a dr tomorrow but I have a severe pain in the back of my neck it hurts when I move and swallow and it just started this morning I have no idea what could have caused the pain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2013 in Health

• It could be any number of things.... Are you having any trouble breathing? Does your throat feel tight? & have you looked at your throat in a mirror with a flashlight? (sorry, nurse mode activated)
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• So many possibilities... can you put your chin to your chest? Do you have a fever? Rash? Have you had any trauma recently... How severe is the pain? 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• If it gets worse, especially if it gets worse very suddenly, don't wait for an appointment but go to the ER post haste. IDK what it is, only a doctor would know for sure. Tylenol might help more than ibuprofen.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Oh, ok, back of the neck... My mind went to tonsillitis, that hurts badly to swallow & move your head. Agree with crafty, are you able to touch your chin to your chest? Have you by any chance gotten a steroid shot in the past few months, been having headaches today?
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• The human body is weird, it's so tough, yet so easy to damage. It sounds like some sort of pulled muscle to me, but I'm not sure what to make of the swallowing pain...
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Did it start when you woke up? That happened to me when I slept on it wrong.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Does sound like it may be muscular... Neck muscle pain can cause headache. The sore throat may not be related. Chin to chest thing rules out menengitis. Definetly see your doc tomorrow if you are not feeling better as we really can't give you more info. Hope you feel better !!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I have had a muscle issue in my neck bad enough to cause swallowing issues. It usually involves more then one muscle. Did you jerk your head in one direction or the other right before it started?
    As the other ladies said, it could be strep as well.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I had that same pain before just from sleeping funny in a car while traveling. It should go away with time. Take warm showers/baths. Don't try to force yourself to move the neck too much and don't roll your head around. Just let it heal. A heat pad around the neck should help along with someone massaging your shoulders. See a chiropractor if it worsens and doesn't get better within a week.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• oh and I have been taking ib profin and it isn't helping the pain go away.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2013