BFing...

does anyone know (without telling me I should only feed on demand) if pumping helps or hurts your supply of milk? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you pump only, I've heard it can lower your milk supply eventually. But for me personally with both kids, pumping always helped boost my supply. I ended up having overactive letdown from pumping too often! I was literally making enough milk for triplets! lol.
    Cathy2005

Answer by Cathy2005 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• it will help as long as you dont do it right before its time to fee. try to pump after she's done eating for a little while.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It really depends! If you're pumping only, you do run the risk of supply dwindling because the pump is never as effective as the baby.

If you're pumping as well as nursing, you run the risk of getting too engorged.

I've seen both ends of the spectrum...most moms end in the middle but tilting towards lowered supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• ive heard it helps because it keeps your supply flowing and coming...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It killed my milk supply!! When my son was 3 months he went thru a growth spurt (I didn't realize it at the time) but he wanted to nurse every 45 minutes. I freaked out & thought I wasn't producing enough so I started pumping only to see how much he was getting. My supply went WAY down and after an entire month of pumping every hr & a half and only getting 1-2 ounces I had to stop. I couldn't handle it anymore. I swear the pump is EVIL
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2009