Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How many of you would like to help me out here? I need a favor :)

My cousin & her partner were married on a beach in Mexico almost a year ago. My cousin's spouse is now expecting a boy, due in April. We are all thrilled for them & just attended their baby shower yesterday. But we also found out that my cousin has no legal rights to this baby unless she goes thru formal adoption, which costs thousands of dollars. My step mom said we should write to Ellen for help. What do you think? Would you send a FB message to Ellen? If you think it would help & would like to help my cousin & probably many others in their same position, please do so when you get a chance. Thanks :)


Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Relationships

Level 48 (284,595 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • I don't think it will cost as much as you think, you can have guardianship papers drawn up, like when you leave your child with your parents, to ensure the other mother can take the child to the doctor etc. A will would ensure that if the pregnant mother would pass, the partner can have custody of the child.
    Rosie may be a better avenue for help, or at least advice on how to do it, Ellen has no children.
    Good luck, my friend and his partner adopted a child and I think the total cost of the legal paperwork was around $1,000.

    Answer by jerseydiva at 9:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • hellokittykat

    Answer by hellokittykat at 7:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • Yeah, I don't think adoption costs quiet as much as you think it does. Since the one of them is actually having the baby, she will automatically have legal rights to the baby, so they would only have to get the documentation for the non-biological one. When my dad adopted me (true, it's been a while ago), it only ended up costing a little over a $1000, and most of that was attorney's fees.

    Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • PS. meaning after the child was adopted by my friend, but I assume that this was a legite sperm donor as from a bank, not a friend who agreed to impregnante mother #1 correct? If it was a friend then he will have to relinquish rights etc. Good luck, and congrats to them!

    Answer by jerseydiva at 10:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • Why would they petition to bring the child over lmao, it'll be born here they aren't adopting internationally, she's having the baby. It would be a simple adoption. Which you can actually do yourself because its not like they're fighting a dad, they file the paperwork, get inspected by a social service worker, worker then turns in her paperwork they go to court and voila.

    Answer by funlovinlady at 7:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • Go ahead an write Ellen maybe it will help.

    Answer by booklover545 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

  • I wouldn't, but I'm against soliciting famous people for money. Why not have a old fashioned fundraiser for them, spaghetti dinner, raffles, gift basket drawings etc.

    Answer by funlovinlady at 7:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • I'm not talking about asking her for money- I thought w/ her kind of influence, she could push for a change in the rules.

    Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 7:19 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • You could try it but there are also other ways in getting formula so maybe look at all of your options.

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

  • Um... geez I guess all you have to do is get every state to legalize gay marriage and equal rights for partners.... Sure, Ellen can do that.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

Next question in Relationships
I want it more adult content

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Pregnant with twins?? SERIOUS??