8 yo and the bathroom

How can I get my almost 9 yo boy to wipe after using the toilet? Basically every time he goes number two, he doesn't wipe or even flush the toilet. Besides the stains on his underwear, that's how I know he never wipes. I've tried explaining to him what can happen hygentically, giving rewards, punishment, and threatening to embarrass him. Nothing is working. Because of his age, I refuse to follow him in every time and either make sure he wipes or doing it my damn self. Can anyone help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went with the kids until they could demonstrate to me that they were doing it. They wanted their privacy so they quickly showed me they could, and would, handle it themselves.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• He's 8. Enough said.

Personally as they start into gym classes, sports the other boys will notice and start bugging him about it. He'll clean up pretty quick. At that age you can say/do anything you want and it won't matter. I'd just wait it out and let the other boys do the job for you.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Either follow him in and wipe for him, which he won't like, or ignore it and let the kids at school tease him into cleaning up his act. Personally, gross or not, I'd go with the first option. Also, make him scrub his underwear, and stress that the bathroom is for everybody and the rest of the family doesn't want to smell his poop. I'd make him scrub the toilet every time he doesn't flush.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Thanks for the advice. I can't wipe for him. He is so lazy sometimes he wouldn't care if I did it for him. He would actually prefer it. Weirdo. Lol! So I guess I will just wait until someone outside the family notices. Its hard to get him to feel ashamed enough to change. My boyfriend even points it out to him and he still doesn't wipe. I will also make him start doing his own laundy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I threatened mine that he would have to start doing his own laundry if he didn't wipe. I said I wasn't going to get stuck cleaning up that disgusting mess just because he wanted to be lazy. I also threatened him that I'd make him do everyone's laundry for a while, so he could see how it feels to be doing others' laundry and deal with the mess (of course, other than his own, the only real mess was the usual dirt and mud his younger brother got into, but still...).

As far as the toilet, I went with embarrassment. I walk into the bathroom and find an unflushed toilet, I yell "Who didn't flush their pee/poop?" If no one confesses, I start calling names and asking if it was them. They still forget sometimes, but for the most part, they've gotten it together, if for no other reason than not to hear, "X, did you poop and leave it for everyone to see?" lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2013