How to get lice out of my own hair? (I'm a single mom)

I'm a single mom and I've been battling with lice for months now to a point where I just want to shave my head. My 6 yr old caught it from school and has passed it on to myself and her 2 sisters. I'm having a hard time getting rid of them out of my own hair because I have no one to help me comb out my own hair. I've tried those shampoos, leaving conditioner in my hair for hours, etc. HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go see a doctor and get some stronger medication for it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Pitch the plastic comb and buy one of the metal ones. Then treat your hair. When combing split your hair into 4 sections. left, right, front & back. Comb left to right, front to back, right to left, back to front. Repeat, repeat, repeat. This should get all the nits off. Thing is if you are getting live lice then something else is going on. Make sure all coats, pillows, etc are cleaned and dried in the dryer. Spray down you bed, vacumm sofas, etc. DON"T forget the car! This tends to be where people keep picking it back up. If you're like me you make sure everything of the kids is done but forget your own stuff. Don't forget to clean your own hairbrushes, combs, bands, etc. No sharing with your kids.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• you need to wash all the bedding in your house, spray the mattresses, and sterilize all the combs & brushes also. i wouldnt be able to rest until they were dead... shudder.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Instead of shaving your head you might consider a short haircut for a few months. It does help get rid of it. Something else to consider is your local health department. They might have someone on staff that can help you get rid of it if nothing else works.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:13 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I went on a cleaning frenzy yesterday. I vacuumed everything, sprayed everything down, did laundry. I was so drained and sore. I have about 5 metal lice combs also. I want to cut my hair but i obviously don't want to go to a salon with evidence of lice, eggs in my hair. Im already beyond mortified as it is. :-/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Did you try a different brand of shampoo? Do NOT use the generic kind. They're very weak. There's also tea shampoo that you can use on your hair that will help.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:30 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I got lice from a laundromat once and eventually cut off all my long hair and went with a short haircut for a while that was easier to comb out. My then husband had to cut his hair and even shave his beard, the lice were so bad. We used Rid, I think it was called. Remember to wash all hats, coats, scarves, towels, and stuffed toys.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Have you considered the electric combs? The ones that ZAP the beasties into the beyond?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• You need to wash everything in hot hot hot water.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2013

• You have to use lice removal comb.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 12:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2013