I failed my glucose test...need advice

Im 31 weeks and 2 days and i just found out i have failed my 3 hour glucose test. am I too far to control it? I dont want to lose my baby.

Luvizth3drug

Asked by Luvizth3drug at 1:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your doctor. With these pass/fail glucose tests, you can fail by just a couple of points. It might be able to be controlled with diet. Only your doctor can tell you for sure what is best for you.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• No, you are not too far to control it. They should give you a diet to follow and might even have you giving yourself insulin. The biggest thing is going to be you need to watch your carbs.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I failed mine too when I was almost 8 months pregnant.. It wasn't so serious that I needed shots of insulin, but I took some tablets to regulate it.. and my doctor sent me to talk to a nutritionist right after my appointment. You should see one too. The doctors will help, you wont lose your baby!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• From right now. Change your diet. Fruit, veggies, and meat only. Small portions of whole wheat bread, pasta, potatoes, rices.  Stay away of junk food, like candy, pies cakes, chips, sodas.

Answer by louise2 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• This won't cause you to lose the baby. Talk with your doctor about how he wants you to proceed.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Your doc should send you to a diabetic nurse educator who will give you a meter to monitor your diet. You will also get diet guidelines to follow to keep your sugar under control. If you can't do that with diet you will have to inject insulin. No big deal... I had gestational diabetes with my DS... I did what they asked, stuck to the diet and he was a happy healthy 9 lb 12 oz baby!! I surprised they haven't told you this is the play yet... I got that info straight away!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• "From right now. Change your diet. Fruit, veggies, and meat only. Small portions of whole wheat bread, pasta, potatoes, rices. Stay away of junk food, like candy, pies cakes, chips, sodas actually" 

fruits figure into your carb/sugar counts, you have to go easy on them as well... and it's not a simple as smaller portions of grains, some need to be eliminated all together. The gestational diabetic diet is a low carb one... but you also need calcium and other nutrients.

Get to the nurse educator ASAP... they will give you all the tools you need!!
    DON'T take advice about this from strangers on the Internet who's certifications you can't verify (if they have any at all!)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Its not life threatening for your baby and if it were they'd be rushing you to the hospital. Your doctor will tell you what you need to do.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Thank you all for your advice. I am a first time mom and it just freaked me out a little. Thanks to yall and my husband I am more calm now. And I have my first appointment wed. to start my classes.
    Luvizth3drug

Comment by Luvizth3drug (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• you won't lose your baby
    this can be controlled by diet I went through this twice
    go speak to the dietician at the Diabetes clinic and do your very best to keep your blood sugar levels stable
    you can do it, worst case scenarion you will have to give yourself injections
    you will be fine.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2013