Why does God care if you eat meat,or give up something you enjoy?

How does that make you a better Christian?
And why is fish and seafood ok?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Religious Debate

• also, the fish thing had to do with it being so cheap & abundant in the middle ages. pork & beef were expensive and seen as something rich & decadent. so you wouldnt want to be eating decadently when you're suppose to be sacrificing for God. thats why you pig out on Fat Tuesday and then have ham on Easter Sunday haha.

for the spiritual reasons, i dunno...that wasnt part of the Christianity i was raised in. my version of a higher power doesnt care what we do.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• God doesn't care if you abstain from meat or give up something you enjoy during Lent. The point of it is to do something that keeps God on your mind more than usual. It's a small sacrifice you make to remember and be grateful for the incredible sacrifice made for you. In some places where meat was scarce, tortillas were given up instead. As for the fish thing, that was a matter of marketing. The early church was as hungry for money as anybody, and the fishermen weren't making enough, so the church was paid to encourage people to eat fish on Fridays, not just during Lent. A priest told me that when I asked about it. Anyway, giving up something for Lent is pointless unless you are doing it for a reason, which is to remind yourself of what Easter means to you. What I do is abstainfrom some small thing, such as dessert when I go out to eat,and then put the money I would have spent aside to donate to some worthy cause.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Some of us really do try to be better Christians and better people, and not just during Lent. But Lent is a period before Easter when special attention is paid to preparing for the joy of the Easter season, just like Advent is at Christmastime. You get out of it what you put in. Lazy Christians who only bother to do something one week out of the year are half assed, but that doesn't make all Christians half assed. It's their loss if they don't put any effort into their faith.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• God doesn't care. It's a tool for the person.  When you give up something you enjoy you think about it, this can lead to more introspection.  Fasting has been used in many faiths and even by people who aren't religious.  Also doing it as a group, like at Lent can be really rewarding.  There's support from other people, discussion and a connection to the community.  It's suppose to be a time to take a step back and just reflect.  Are some people better at this than other, certainly. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• why does there need to be a time per say to have God on your mind more? If you believe shouldn't that be priority? I would not volunteer at a soup kitchen just because there was a week in a year that said to go do something. I would do it because I wanted to help people. Why do some Christians need a TIME to do stuff as in give up something?
    Anonymous

• I hardly think lent makes anyone a better Christian. Especially if one tends to be a lazy Christian the rest of the year. You can't pay homage for a week pretending to be so righteous when the rest of the time you're a twat.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• also, the fish thing had to do with it being so cheap & abundant in the middle ages.

With the irony then being people in the midwest should be giving up fish...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• This is a debate board!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I don't think He does. I don't think it does, lol. Honestly I see giving up, say, chocolate, as an act that trivializes what Jesus did. I prefer to use the time to study more, work on my relationship with God, my faith, etc. I do spend all year studying and digging deeper, cultivating, but this time of year I devote especially to working on the message of Jesus and the way of life he called us to. To trying to remember his nature, his lessons, and emulate them in my life in a way that is deeper than the study I do the rest of the year.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Wouldn't it make more sense on a spiritual level,to actually go DO something,instead of NOT do something?

Sure. Lately, a lot of churches are encouraging people to go out and clean up highways or donate to food banks or work at soup kitchens instead of giving up something.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2013