Stubborn Pug

I live in an apartment and have a pug puppy (about 7 months old, had her since 8 weeks) and I'm having so much trouble potty training her! She poops constantly! I take her out of her cage first thing in the morning and she goes outside and then I usually find a pile hidden somewhere and she's only out about an hour in the mornings! To make things worse, when she poops inside, she doesn't just poop on the floor, she hops on the couch or the kids' beds and I'm getting so frustrated! She also poops in her cage no matter how long she's in there, she doesn't care that she has to sit in it til she gets out! I don't know what to do with her and my fiance is getting really frustrated and is ready to give her away! Please help, any tips are appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Pets

• Pugs are notoriously stubborn and hard to potty train. My ex had to give away a pug for the same reasons you mentioned. Have you tried those indoor potty pads for dogs? Gross, but better than the carpet or the couch or beds.

Other than that, I'd suggest contacting a pug rescue to see if someone there can give you advice. You can probably locate one on Petfinder.com.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• We have a pug. I don't remember him being that stubborn. Then again, we kept him blocked in the kitchen most of the day while we were at work for probably the first 2 years or so.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• The cage must be to big if the dog is pooping in it. The cage is sopose to be just big enough for them to stand up and lay down in . No extra room.

Answer by louise2 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Plus, it's a girl? I always think girl dogs are more stubborn. I would do what louise said up there^^^. Get her trained in the smaller cage and then go from there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Many of the bigger petstore chains will run a free potty training class and/or give a tone of free advice and the trainers are pretty well versed on the various breeds.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• It sounds like the crate is to big. She should only be able to stand up, turn around and lay down. If the crate is the correct size though I would recommend that you get a crate that is a size down and make her sleep in that for a few weeks. That will help to teach her not to go in the crate. I would also start treating her as though she is a young puppy and no let her have free reign of your apartment. You might even try leashing her to you so that you can keep an eye on her when she is out. For the time being, you should start taking her out ever hour so that she gets the idea and give her treats when she goes outside. You might also want to teach her to ring a bell to let you know she needs to go outside.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2013