The Cup

My dr told me to start giving my daughter the cup. I have tried 4 different cups with juice in it and she wants nothign to do with it. I have tired to also put water in it and she looks at me like i'm crazy. Can anyone help me? What did you do for your daughter?

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 12:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried a sippy cup with milk? Also, have her play with the cup like its a new toy for a couple days. Get her used to it. Maybe even put some water in it so she expects it to have liquid. Once its not so foreign to her she may be more likely to drink from it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Are you trying sippy cups or the baby cups with a spill proof straw. My daughter never has used a sippy cup, she began drinking from a straw at 5 months. She still will not drink front a sippy cup. Kids can be so stubborn.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 2:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Many kids are not ready for a sippy at 6 months. Keep trying, but it may be many months before she gets the hang of it.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• How old is your baby? Try a straw type cup (we use the ones with a spill proof valve). They don't require the to tip them back and you suck on them very much like you would a nipple so if your baby is young enough they may still have the sucking instinct and catch on quickly. You're just going to have to keep trying until she gets it. You might also want to get yourself an identical cup and when you sit down to give her hers, drink out of yours. You may find she is motivated by mimicking you. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• get a nuby soft spout cup with handles. set it on her highchair tray a million times and leave it, and on the million and first time, she'll just pick it up and drink from it.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009