Has anyone remodeled a home from top to bottom?

We are looking to move in order to send our kids to public school, private school is just becoming more than we can afford, so we have been house hunting.
This weekend I cam across a home that was in forecloseure, for about $70,000 It is a 4 bedroom 3 bath that appears to have someone start the job, but never finish, I mean there isn't a fixture, floor or anything left, just the plumbing and wiring
The bank is willing to take $50,000- and the outside is amazing, similar homes in the area sell for between $400,000- $800,000.
Does this sound insane to hire a contractor and fix it the way you want? I am going to have someone come look at it with me on Thursday, husband says noway, but I can vision it, LOL!

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 7:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Couldn't resist.
    If you have good vision and can see what you have in mind, you can have a contractor work up numbers for you. If you're handy and can do some of the work yourselves or at least oversee the work so you know what's being done right, it can save you tons of money. It is a lot of work, but if you do it right, it can really pay off.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Remolded? No, that sounds unhealthy. ;)
    Yes, we have completely remodeled a house from top to bottom. We were young and broke and did all of the work ourselves. It turned out great and we made a lot of money on the house. I really liked it when we were finished.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• thanks for the spell check! LOL!
    jerseydiva

Comment by jerseydiva (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2013