Conduct unbecoming in public setting...

I took my kids to a fast food place tonight and witnessed first hand something that my mom complained about the other day. I don't often take my kids out to eat do to financial restraints. I have to budget careful but could afford a cheap meal for them if I didn't get anything to eat so I just got coffee. While we were there my five year old (Who is on the spectrum) kept repeating loudly, Pee Pee and Poo Poo and Poop, and then laughing about it. I calmly told him that that was not nice to say in public and asked him if he had to go potty. He said no, so I told him if he kept saying it, I was going to take him anyway lol. I said if you don't want to go to the potty then you better stop saying that. He is very hyper anyway and his Doctor took him off his medication until after his evaluation in March so he is sometimes hard to calm down. People kept staring at him and I kept telling him nicely to sit down and use his inside voice and please pay attention to your own food.
Other than that what can I do?
I am slightly annoyed because my mom says that if he continues to act that way that she won't take him out anymore and that is her choice not mine and I see no reason that I should not take him out if I have the money. It's not like I took him to an expensive high class restaurant, it was fast food.
I don't see him as having behavior issues because I feel that he can't really help the way he acts. Is it fair to say that I should keep him home all the time? Isn't that the same thing they did in the 50's and 60's when they felt people with delays were a "dirty secret"? Why should he not have the same rights as typical developing children?
What are your thoughts, opinions on this?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 8:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well I am sure not everyone will agree with me but I expect childrento be children period. I do not go anywhere expecting children to be perfect ( unless it is an adult only place- and sometimes they act worse than kids).

So, you keep taking him places and dealing with him the way you did, people who stare dont have manners either and peopel who stare are judgemental. They don't really make a difference to me in places like that.

Your child deserves the same things other kids do!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• His actions weren't any worse than any other kid out there
    I wouldn't even worry about it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I have a son on the spetrum too. When he was young, and we took him to a restaurant, if he became disruptive, and he did not do as I asked, we left. IMO, I felt it was disrespectful to the other guests who were also spending their good money, to have my son ruin their evening. If the weather was nice, we ate outside. He was happier because he could run, and make as much noise as he wanted. If the weather wasnot nice, we ate the food at home.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I don't think you should keep your son home. If your mom doesn't want to take him out, that's her choice. If you can handle his behavior in public, which it sounds like you can, then he deserves to go to McDonald's as much as any other kid. If he truly is disturbing other people, you should consider taking him outside to calm down. And if you make a threat to take him to the bathroom because he won't stop saying those words, then take him.

But don't keep him home! My mom used to hate taking me out as a blind kid because she couldn't deal with getting stared at. She still took me, but she bitched about it and made me feel awful for causing her to miss out on having a "normal family." That's not the way you want to treat your son. Obviously, you care about him very much.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I do not think that you should keep him home, but I also think that if his actions were being disruptive to the other diners in the restaurant and if you telling him to stop did not get him to stop, he should have been removed from the situation either to calm him and then bring him back or leave and give him a new setting.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• It's understandable that your mother might not know how to properly handle a situation like that or want to be in an uncomfortable spot for her.

Continue to take your child out. Mother's will understand. Some people won't. It's okay.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I have seen worse from kids at nice places, I would not have thought anything of it if he was saying pee pee and poo poo. Now if he was coming right out and saying "I have to take a shit" then ya I would think you need to control your kid, but thats not the case.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• If you are at a typical "kid place", and he's just being noisy with words like pee and poop, I wouldn't even worry about it. People might stare but rudeness is always a reflection of the being rude, and doesn't have any bearing on anyone else.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• As long as I see the parent is TRYING then it doesn't bother me. What I hate is when a kid acts a fool and the parents ignores them.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I've practically raised my kids in restaurants so they really do know how to behave but they are older than your son. You have a different situation with his special needs. Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal. He's a little kid and it's not like you took him to a five star steak house. Now about your mom. If she can't handle it, well, you have to just let that go. Some people have their limits. I think you handled things well, Mama!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2013