Business and family organized separately?

When you own your own business how do you keep business and family organized separately! ?

I feel like all I do is work. I know once I get this certain "area" of work and paper work done, I'll be done and will be back to only a few hours a day, but I just feel while I'm trying to finish this stuff up I'm overworking :S ..

My kids don't seem to show it (they are with me always - I work out of my home) They tend to keep each other occupied. I still stop and make breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. We made a cake together today before nap time. I lay down with them when they get ready for a nap and I watch a couple movies with them at night, and in between we sometimes play with the cars when they bring them to me (favorite toys), but I seriously feel like I'm neglecting them although after putting all that in writing it doesn't seem like I am, but it feels like it.. And I understand I work to give them the things that they need..

Any suggestions or opinions (lol not mean ones)..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think that all the psych books have convinced us that in order to be good parents, we must entertain our children every minute of every day or we're not good enough...but my mother was a stay at home mom for a lot of years, and she definitely didn't feel the need to occupy us all day. Did yours? Did you feel like you missed out? I don't. Our parents loved us and we didn't want for anything or lack supervision...but they didn't spend every waking moment making sure we were "engaged" with them if that makes sense.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Schedule work time and keep it separate from home time.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I work from home and homeschool my kids. I spend a good 3-5 hours a day homeschooling them, so that's quite a bit of quality time for us right there. My work is writing, so I just kind of...fit it in, in a sense. When I take them outside to play I take the laptop with me. They don't need me to run around the yard with them, so that's 2-4 hours of work there, depending on the day. I do a couple of hours in the evening, and a couple of hours on weekends. The thing is, I used to work outside the home, so my kids remember when we left at 6 am and got home at 6 or 7 at night - so when I tell them I need to work, they get that this is less time than when I worked outside the home and they leave me alone to do it and get it done. They also understand that this is how I afford the fun things we do together. And I force myself to walk away from work sometimes, even when I feel like there's more I should do.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• You're right my parents did not entertain me all day, I remember playing by myself most of the time and I am fine. I like how you put that.

I do keep a decent schedule.

I would love to homeschool my children as well, but they are a little young still and I use to take my work outside with us, sometimes still do but just felt bad like I wasn't giving them attention..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should homeschool. lol I just put that in to explain that because I do, I feel there's less pressure on me to carve out more time to focus on just them. If they were in school all day, I would just work while they were in school and put it aside when they got home. It was mainly meant to kind of say that as long as you spend some quality time with them each day, don't feel pressured to spend ALL your waking hours focusing on them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Oh no I know, I've always wanted to homeschool my children lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Feb. 22, 2013