Anyone have a teen who has been arrested?

My son was given a citation to appear in court for trying to steal a PC game from target, he has never been in trouble before and Im not sure what to do. I received papers in the mail to go to a intake meeting with my son. My only issue is these papers are already highlighted in yellow where Iam suppose to sign, one is waiving his right to an attorney. Not sure if I should sign these.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• get a lawyer

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• You probably won't need an attorney if your son hasn't been in trouble before, but there's no way you should sign away his right to one till you get all of your questions answered. Take the papers to the meeting and talk to anybody you need to tillyou are clear on what you should do. Most likely, since it's a first offense and the merchandise was not too valuable, your son will just get community service or probation, but *don't sign anything till you understand it all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Agreed do not sign away his right to an attorney.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 9:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• It also has a place for me to sign for them to give my kid vaccines and medication this is all weird to me. Yes Iam gonna ask ay our meeting tomorrow but another person said if i dont sign these the lady making recomendations for him may get mad at me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2013