Does your house have a 'man-cave'? or do you have your own special space?

My dh works from home, so he has an 'office' set up in our bedroom. Its not just OUR bedroom though, since we live in a small 2bdrm place right now it is also where our son's bed is and he still sleeps in there with us. We should be getting our new bigger house in about 2-3months, but even then dh's "office" will still be in our bedroom, ds will have his own room though or probably share with one of his sisters (he's gonna be 4yo and younger dd is gonna be 6 and they kinda want to share, some days they don't but mostly they do). Anyways, I'm just so fed up with dh acting like it is HIS room and only HIS! I feel like crap (AF is visiting) and I just want to lay in bed and read and relax while the kids wind down before bed. Ds went in there and wanted to listen to songs on the laptop so i turned it on for him and was playing with him in bed and dh got all grouchy about us being in HIS room. I have NO WHERE else in the house that is "mine." obviously I can't kick the girls out of their bedroom, and there's nowhere comfortable for me to relax in the kitchen or in our one small bathroom, the living room is fine I guess but I can't expect the kids to really stay out or be quiet in there when its their space too, kwim? sigh... its not gonna get much better at the new house either, everyone will have their own space but me again... I just want some damn space to MYSELF for once!

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 9:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Home & Garden

• When my husband is at home, he thinks it's all a man cave! LOL! He travels, so when he's gone, I get the entire house... so, I guess he can have a man cave when he's home.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• My husband has just about finished setting up his man cave in a basement room. Today he worked on setting up his computer. He has his books, swivel rocker recliner, filing cabinets, his collections of Star Trek toys and pictures that he likes. The room has an attached bathroom. He has a stereo and speakers, carpeting on the floor. He should be pretty comfortable in there. I have the computer room to myself, and when I want to relax and read I have a recliner in the bedroom next to a big window where I like to sit.

Answer by Bmat at 9:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I hear ya, Drea! We're in a small two-bedroom place as well, and we likely will be for a long time because I'm upside down in the mortage and the HOA is insolvent, so the bank won't finance anybody as a buyer. I have one wall in the living room for my home office, and my boyfriend has his workbench for cleaning watches at night in a corner of the dining room. The living room and dining room are also the playroom, so the song "Crawling From the Wreckage" comes to mind often wen I'm trying to walk through the place.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Today he worked on setting up his computer. He has his books, swivel rocker recliner, filing cabinets, his collections of Star Trek toys and pictures that he likes. The room has an attached bathroom. He has a stereo and speakers, carpeting on the floor.

You better be careful! He may never poke his head out of that cave again!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• You better be careful! He may never poke his head out of that cave again!

LOL! Yes this occurred to me. There's even a small refrigerator around the corner from his room. The only thing he doesn't have is a coffee pot in there.

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• No and no, unless you count our garage.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• our house isnt big enough for us to have designated spaces, but one small corner of the living room has a desk that DH uses for school (i use the coffee table) and another small corner has my digital piano & DH's guitar. its not much but its better than nothing!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Not reallly. When we need space he can go to the living room and I'll take over the bedroom or vice versa. There's only 3 of us so doesnt get to hectic around here.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Yes, Our main livingroom is set up as his "man cave" which has a cabin vibe. We both spend the majority of time in here. ( big screen TV and fireplace) An adjoining room is my "special place. " It is my "music room". It is decorated with special things that I like.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I have my office, but that is for work, not relaxing. No one goes in there. It's scary and potentially dangerous LOL.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2013