How Do I Tell My Jealous/Pregnant SIL I Am Also Expecting?

My SIL is expecting her first child. She was never thrilled about the amount of attention she feels we get from her family for having a child (she is going to be disappointed because my husband's family provides zero support or attention past what might look good at a family party).

She is due in July. I just found out I'm pregnant with my second and am due in October. I was never supposed to be able to have one child, much less two because of medical issues (which she has always judged me for).

How do we break this news to her? She has been known to throw fits when she wasn't pregnant and hormonal. I'm not sure I want to deal with the stress of it. My own family is less than supportive, and I'm not sure I can handle one more person being nasty this time through. Is there a way to do this and not get the spiked end of her stick?

LadyThree

Asked by LadyThree at 10:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Don't tell her... she'll figure it out soon enough!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Don't tell her. Let her figure it outnon her own.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I'd wait till five months along or something and then just say, "Yep, well, we're having a baby too!" Let her recoil. It's her problem, not yours. Congrats!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Hide it as long as you can and be ready for the fall out, in the mean time take care of yourself , when the time comes just do not let her push your buttons.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I wouldn't. I'd just deny it...

She'll keep asking if you are gaining weight or pregnant, act like you don't know what she's talking about. Keep her outta the loop...LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Congrats on your pregnancy. I'm due in October too! With any luck fashion wise, she won't even know until after she has her own baby in July. Then, she may just be too busy to care.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be in a rush to let her know, not because you should hide your joy, of course you shouldn't , just because I couldn't be bothered with the drama, when it does come out if she has a bad reaction I would just leave and let her deal with it, she needs to woman up and get over it!! She's not the first and only to be pregnant and she certainly won't be the last.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I agree with the others. Enjoy your pregnancy. Congratulations! It's a wonderful thing--I too wasn't supposed to be able to have children, and I did--and to heck with your sister-in-law. It's not as if it's all that strange for siblings to be having babies at around the same time. Share the news with the people who will be happy with you, the ones who really matter, and the rest of them can find out through the grapevine, they're not your problem.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Meh... I have to disagree with the other moms. I would rather do it now then wait until her baby is here. You think she will be upset now... just wait until she has hers and you "spoil" her birth with the news of another grandbaby.

Just get it over with. Or start wearing maternity clothes and let her figure it out. But don't wait until she is having her baby.

Or ask her out to lunch and tell her how excited you are to be able to have a babies at the same time...won't it be wonderful that they will each have someone to play with...blah blah, blah.... Kill her with kindness. You could bring her two sets of booties and when she opens it say... " one pair for your little one and one for mine...your brother and I are expecting too".
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Who made her the queen of when others can procreate? I'd tell her to kiss the whitest part of my ass.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2013