Is this an Obama Care rule or something that my husband's company is implementing? Help settle a bet!

In November 2011, my husband's company started a new thing were if the spouse (me) has a job that offers me insurance, then I have to take that insurance. I have to have my employer sign a paper stating that either they offer insurance or they don't offer it. I figured his company started this due to budget cuts and other cut backs. My husband told me that it was part of the new Obama Care changes. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

• Kind of both - companies were already doing that long before Obama came along, but now they're doing it as a direct response to their legal liability. They will be legally bound to insure every family under them, so they're sticking to the letter of the law and only insuring the people they absolutely have to.

The real paperwork nightmare is going to come from families with 2 working, divorced parents where the employers fight over who has to pay for the kids. Divorce decrees and custody arrangements don't override that - it will be up to the parents to undo whatever the companies do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I know that's true for people under the age of 26 who may be covered under their parents insurance but not sure if its the same for spouses. I don't think so though.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Actually in the son's divorce and the decree for custody who had to provide insurance was right in the decreed and my husband's company had no choice but to insure him. They could have refused without the court order.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• Thank you NP for the clarification.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• If you go on-Line and READ THE INSUREANCE that is coming...........................

You will have a "HEART-ATTACK", GO READ OBAMA HEALTH CARE......

You just think, you are concerned now .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2013