How would this make you feel?

We just felt like someone kicked us in the stomach.

My dh owes 10,000 in BCS went thru the courts and they agreed with the ex that he will pay $500.00 a month until it paid and the ex will not be able to ask for more so it was settled...well today we receive a letter from IRS that our refund check of $5,000 is all going to her....ugh!

We don't mind paying her her money but not in a lump sum...we thought everything was straighten out from I just explained earlier...sigh!

Thanks for listening!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

• Well, that stinks, but it'll get it paid off in 1/2 the time.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• How did he fall so far behind? $10,000 is a lot that should have been going to his child this whole time. I would feel bad for the mom, taking care of their kid on her own without that money.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• seriously? she deserves it in a LUMP sum since he is so far behind.
    How would I feel? I would be disturbed that a man I was with was 10.000 behind in support in the first place.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• let me rephrase that last part, I would NOT be with a man that wasnt supporting his children with out court and irs interference.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• That is how the IRS works, They can take any assets you might have, so sorry.
    Anonymous

• I think I would be a little frustrated, but I would try to look at the brighter side and like the others mentioned, it will be paid off sooner. I am sure there are several things his child needs that this money will help with.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• I agree, Luv.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• btw, how did you get a letter from irs today? It's a Holiday, the mail didn't run?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• It's a hard lesson that you've learned. Yes, the IRS will take tax refunds and put it toward outstanding debts. And if you had $5K coming back to you, then you need to sit down with an advisor and adjust your withholding, because too much is getting withheld. Ideally, you should get nothing back.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2013

• "btw, how did you get a letter from irs today? It's a Holiday, the mail didn't run?"

I got mail today. Of course, it's what was delivered last Saturday... I didn't go down to the mailbox till today!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2013