So I got laid off.. am i wrong for not wanting to look for a job just yet?

My work closed down from lack of business, Im getting 3 weeks of severance pay and just got my tax return. I am absolutely LOVING being able to spend tons of time with my son. He only has half day kindergarten so he's home by noon and we spend the rest of the day together. I never got to spend this much time with him while i was working, so now im trying to soak up every second of it. Is it wrong of me not to want to look for a new job just yet? Im sure I look lazy to others, but Im just happy at the moment. I finally have steady child support payments coming in and applied for unemployment as well. Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Money & Work

• Depends. What's your plan once the severance runs out?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• If it was me I would tenjoy some of the time off but would not sit too long on it, cause with no income coming in, the severance would go quick and unemployment is some help but not much.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Not wrong at all if you're lucky enough to be able to swing the arrangement financially. But don't wait too long to start looking because with times like they are, jobs can be hard to find. Set yourself a deadline to start looking if you're going to need work soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I would enjoy the time while still looking. You never know how long it could take to find a newjob. Your 3 weeks could turn into 3 months. Have fun with your little man!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Are you going to be able to live well on your unempolyment ?

Spend your time with you husband and child.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Unemployment won't last forever, so it wouldn't hurt to start looking now. You aren't desperate yet, so you can be picky about the next employer.

Enjoy your time off as well!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I. Did the same thing. We are somehow making it work. I love it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I think taking a break is nice!! The only down side is the finding a new job may be difficult and the sooner you have tha job the sooner for peice of mind. The other possible down side... you don't want to be in the place where the unemployment stops and there is still no job. A couple weeks for vacation (even its just resting at home) is great as long as you can be totally motivated after.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I would enjoy a few weeks and rest but would still applying for jobs and see what comes up. Good luck and enjoy your time
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• It's normal to need a few weeks to lick your wounds, so give yourself these few weeks if you can afford it, then get into searching full-force.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2013