So I got laid off.. am i wrong for not wanting to look for a job just yet?

My work closed down from lack of business, Im getting 3 weeks of severance pay and just got my tax return. I am absolutely LOVING being able to spend tons of time with my son. He only has half day kindergarten so he's home by noon and we spend the rest of the day together. I never got to spend this much time with him while i was working, so now im trying to soak up every second of it. Is it wrong of me not to want to look for a new job just yet? Im sure I look lazy to others, but Im just happy at the moment. I finally have steady child support payments coming in and applied for unemployment as well. Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Money & Work

• I would still look for a job. Its good to have money saved up and not good to wait to long to find a job, that is frowned upon. when they ask what were you doing between this date and this date.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I would take a wk maybe, but then I would start looking after that. Maybe you can go in the mornings while your son is at school and then take the rest of the afternoon off when he gets home.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• You're not wrong.... enjoy it while it lasts, but be careful how long you wait before you start looking
    Chele18504

Answer by Chele18504 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• don't forget - it's a really tough economy out there still (no matter what any politician says). It might take much longer than you expect to get a new job. I know many, many people who actually had to change careers completely. Enjoy your time with your son, but do some job searching while he's at school. And if you didn't love your previous job, maybe take this time to explore other career ideas!
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 4:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2013