• In the Spotlight:

Can he get remarried when he has an arrest warrant due to unpaid child support?

I am curious about something. My ex is telling our son that he is getting remarried. He also said she is pregnant. Due to his tendency to lie about everything it makes me wonder. First he is 47 and she is 50. Now I know people have had kids at this age before but as I said my ex lies alot so I have to wonder about this pregnancy story. Plus I got to thinking and to get married they would have to get a marriage liscence right? Can he do that when he is so behind on child support and has a warrant issued for his arrest due to not showing up to his last court date? We do live in Las Vegas and it is easy to get married I just wonder about the liscence thing. Does anyone know anything about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• Marriage has nothing to do with child support so yes he can remarry. They may arrest him when he gets married so he may not go on a honeymoon but he can get married. Maybe she'll pay his CS. I know my x's current wife pays his back cs to me.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• That would be nice if she did that. Does yours make the monthly payments or did she just get him caught up? The liscence thing is what made me wonder since he can't get his drivers liscence renewed and I know it affects professional liscenses.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• My ex was a couple years behind on child support when he and I married. There were no repercussions, no arrest, etc. I did end up paying him up to date a couple months after we married (and I found out), and I made sure the payment was on time from there on out.

Answer by missanc at 5:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• When I got married, the only thing they checked (as far as I know, and my ex owed child support for his daughter at that time, though I didn't know it) was to confirm that neither of us had an existing marriage or a previous marriage that we'd failed to mention. Now, if they get married in the courthouse, it's possible that they could pick him up there, but only if they know he's there. If they just walk in and get married, they may not realize he's there.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Yes he can.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:20 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Those are completely unrelated. Of coarse he can.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• of course he can, and what a good place for the police to pick him up on the charges! LOL I doubt that at 50 she is pregnant!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Unless you know when he is going to be there and inform the cops, it's doubtful that getting a marriage license would set up an alert for them to let them know he's there.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• God 50 and pregnant!! That sounds like a nightmare. To answer your question, yes I believe he can get married.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Yeah 50, pregnant and most likely no help supporting that child either. I kinda feel bad for her. But it isn't my place to say anything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2013