I have a boxer, black lab mix puppy. Any tips on how to control his nipping with the little ones?

I know it is common but it is so frustrating for the kids to want to play with the puppy only to be nipped by the dog and tears follow. I am trying to teach him 'off' but he is so hyper when he is in play mode. The kids love to play with him but they are afraid of him. Please what worked for you? The puppy is 3 1/2 months old.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 7:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Pets

• He needs to learn bite inhibition. Whenever, he puts his mouth on you (get the kids to do this also) say "ouch" even when it does not hurt. He will most likely come back but his mouth will be softer. If you are consistant he will learn not to put his mouth on you at all. He is a mix of two pretty active dogs so it is important that he gets plenty of excersise. When your kids are playing with the puppy make sure you are with them and as soon as he starts getting overly playful stop playing with him immediately. Don't give him any attention, don't touch him,talk to him nothing until he has calmed down. you can even use the crate as a time out. However if you do that you keep it positive just put him in as you normally would give him a few minutes and then let him out again.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2013

• I had to train 2 puppies at one time, each time they nipped I would hold their snouts shut and say no. But I had to do that each time. I also took them directly to the humane society where they had puppy training classes. The training classes were held for the entire family and it worked so well because we all learned at the same time and used the same ways we were taught and it made for two perfect beagles..and lord knows those are stubborn dogs to train! But it worked and since then I highly recommend that training to new dog owners.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• We have GSD's and they are nippy as well. We make a noise, we don't say words. The noise is quick, and loud enough to get their attention. We found with words, the kids tend to say too many, and the dog doesn't know what's going on. The sound is easier, and it works. Ours know not to do it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• He needs to learn "No bite!" Every single time he puts his mouth on any of you- he needs to be corrected for it. Replace your arm w/ a chew toy he can have. Kong balls filled w/ peanut butter work great for teething pups. So do ice cubes. Both breeds are notoriously hyper up to about age 2 yrs. So you need to nip some behaviors early. We took our lab to a puppy kindergarten class. You may want to ask your vet if they have a training center near you. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• We went through that with my puppy. The only thing that worked was time. When he was around 1 1/2 he stopped doing it. I also think he was fighting for dominance with my son, they were around the same size. Once my son grew larger and was clearly the dominant one, it stopped. Now my dog is the greatest, most cuddly thing ever. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• If your kids are old enough to keep their hands out of their mouths, put a dab of lemon juice on their fingers. The dog won't like the taste and should stop nipping. Also, you can push your hand a bit forcefully further into the dog's mouth when it opens instead of trying to pull away, which will make him draw back.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• What Kyliesmom5 said. And say ouch in a high pitched voice, like another puppy. He's playing with you like he would play with is littermates. They would make the same noise if puppy got too rough.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2013