12 yr old weight lifting

My 12 year old son wants a weight lifting set. He's played football in school for two years now. We've talked to the doctor about gaining weight. He has stot up in height the past year. But I worry about him actually wright lifting. I know, they do this at school supervised. And only like once or maybe twice a week.
Good idea?
Would you?
Our oldest is off at college so we have an extra room. And I hoped I might use it as well. It wouldn't hurt me to exercice, although I'm on the go at work all day. I know, it's not the same.
We've looked at a weight bentch and a friend is selling a bow flex machine.

Would you have concerns?
What limits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son was lifting weights when he was twelve he started out forty five minutes a day. We set up a routine and we all got involved slowly he worked his way up. but start out slow and work your way up.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Before I bought any set I would make sure he's committed. My 13 yo has a pull-up bar ($20) and does push ups and dips plus running track.
    I personally would be wary of unsupervised weight lifting at that age and would talk at length with my son's dr and coach(es) before starting.

Answer by missanc at 10:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• The lock is a good idea. My brother was doing weights with my dad at that age, and it seemed good for his strength and safe enough. But I wouldn't let him do it by himself in case he gets a He-Man complex and ends up hurt.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I'd thought of putting a lock on that door, so I'd know he could not use them unless a patent was at home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2013