Can a bipolar person live/function properly without medication?

I was diagnosed bipolar a couple of years ago after I had my first child. I've been hospitalized twice for suicide attempts and am prescribed Zoloft for depression and Abilify as a mood stabilizer. I hate hate hate taking medicine. Never even took headache relief in high school. About every six months I get it in my head that I can go off my meds successfully. Unfortunately, I can't function without it. I'm suddenly overwhelmed and have a hard time coping with normal stressors in life.

My question is: Is it possible to go off medication permanently when bipolar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Health

• of course. you dont have to take modern medicine for ANYTHING if you dont want to. there ARE alternatives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i am bipolar. and have been off my meds for 5 years now. i woke up on day and just stoped taking them. at frist it was hard and my Dr was not happy with me about it. but i dont regret my choice about it. it works for some people and some people it dont. it is just how bad you wont it. look at me i am doing great and making it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Most bipolar patients feel better after taking meds and so they stop taking them. This is not a good idea. I really dont think your health is worth the risk. Headaches are better than suicide attempts hun.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I too was diagnosed after I had my first child. I have a great doctor who worked with me on finding the right meds. Im really not fond of prescription medicine. But thats what worked for me. Just a heads up on what meds worked for me... not saying that they work for everyone. I take cymbalta as an antidepressant, seroquel as a sleeping med.( because without it I couldn't turn my mind off to sleep) and Lamictal as a mood stabilizer. I have been doing better, and wouldn't even think of stopping taking my meds. Don't know if this will help but , your not the only one. Some people won't admit it. If you need to chat let me know. I've gone through a similar situation, and understand. Just think "it will get better" find a doc that will work with you. If you take comething and you don't feel right, tell them. You know your body better than anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Never stop taking your meds!!!!
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thanks girls! BTW, I'm allergic to Lamictal...caused a rash over my entire body!
    I want to go off my meds permanently so bad! But, everytime I do it hurts my marriage and I become a bad mommy. I feel like now isn't the time to quit taking them...but I just want hope to know that one day I will be able to wake up without taking anything!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My best friend is bi polar i have seen her off and on meds, i have been there when she missed meds and was on the emotional roller coaster from it. Some people can go off them, I dont think its a wise idea. my reason is this when my friend was off her meds everyone could see what it did to her how she acted, to her there was nothing wrong she thought everything was fine except for one small problem, she imagined conversations with us she never had, she was prone to depression and many other things, but yet she swore she felt great and was doing wonderfully off her meds, things happened in her life that she couldnt control or deal with because she was off her meds. she has been back on them now for over 2 years and tells me all the time that going off them was the worst idea she ever had. That said I will also tell you she is a person who believes in alternatives in health care but not when it comes to her bi polar meds.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• hey i was the one who answered at 1:18, and 1:19, ...... The generic lamictal did the same thing to me But for some reason the brand name one works. One of the first things my doctor said to me was "your going to start feeling better and think you don't need your meds anymore, but don't just stop taking them" Maybe some day you can go off. For me I feel so much better that I wouldn't think about going off. sorry I answered anonymous last time. Seriously if you just want to chat.....
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• No. It is a chemical imbalance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• If it is possible to go off you meds do it with your dr's supervision. I've no idea about bipolar. I have depression and am not a fan of meds either but am very grateful for the normalcy that zolof has brought to my life at this time. I don't plan on being on it forever, but will remain on it till I'm mentally and emotionally stable to survive without it.
    Good luck to you.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2009