Lactation Question for a Friend

My friend's granddaughter had a baby three weeks ago. Her milk came in right on time, and from what her grandma told me, she was gushing like Niagara and nursing was going like a dream. Then the milk just quit. Dried up to nothing. I wasn't there, obviously, but she said the girl was nursing on demand and pumping as well. She did take one night to sleep and let her grandma feed the baby with bottles of pumped breastmilk. Could that one night have dried her up? What else might have done that? Is it over, or can she get her milk back? I did tell her to call the hospital and see if she could still speak to a lactation consultant, but I thought I'd check with my go-to ladies in the meantime.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless she took a megadose of estrogen, no, what she took meant nothing.

What she pumps means nothing... her body adjusts and Niagara Falls turns off. Dipe count is the ONLY thing that counts... nothing else. What she says about baby tells me growth spurt. Her correct action is to put baby to breast and LEAVE baby there. The normal baby is a noisy smelly demanding critter! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Medications can sometimes do that. Usually when you stop breastfeeding all of a sudden you will become engorged and that's not something you don't notice.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• It could be a growth spurt. Very young babies go through them quiet often. It might not be that she isn't producing, but that her body is regulating her production more, plus baby is growing and needs more.

I would tell her to call a lactation consultant, and also to put baby to the breast when he's hungry.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Also wanted to ask if when she puts baby to breast if baby isn't getting anything? I didn't respond well to pumping, but DD was well fed when I would put her to breast. It could just be that pumping isn't working for her.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Pumping can affect her production. It can make it go down dramatically.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• They also go through growth spurts where they will start trying to feed more often to increase production of milk supply from mother. If he is still breastfeeding and having several wet diapers a day then I don't know that I would worry that much about it. I would recommend she find a lactation consultant in her area to get some information specific to her problem. Also, this site can be really helpful when trying to figure out breastfeeding problems as well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• All the stuff the others have said is true and I just want to add a couple things. Check the number of diapers a day as an indicator of supply not pumping or how "full" she feels or how much she is leaking. The body will start to regulate itself and respond to supply and demand appropriately. I would also see if there is a La Leche League in your area that they can attend meetings. Those women are often better then a lactation consultant.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I dont think one night would make her milk dry up and not that fast she may be on a certain med that is causing it but also she needs to check with her dr. because I know they can do certain things to influence milk to come in.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Ok I had same problem my milk stopped to so little i was worried this is what my lactation consultant told me to get

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3994447

Fenugreek 3 pills 3 times a day and within a few days milk will come in and continue it till milk starts becoming more stable only side effect is that your urine and sweat smells like maple syrup lol its a natural herb been used for century's so no worries ^^
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 1:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2013

• O and also I feed great but when I pumped little would come out its not the same as baby feeding. If baby is relaxed after feeding odds are there getting enough milk.
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 1:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2013