Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Visitation without a court order

My ex an I just split very recently. There is no court order for custody or visitation and he hasn't even called to ask about our ten month old son. If he comes to see him suddenly do I have to let him go? Considering I left because he physically abused his son from a previous marriage and is currently under investigation I would think not, right?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (9)
  • Get a court order! It is a must! My daughters father and I have not been together since I was 3 months pregnant. He is a alcoholic and my lawyer told me court order and mandatory supervised visitation only. If you let your baby go and he is on birth certificate then he can legally keep the child until you file for custody. My babys father is not on birth certificate so if I allow him to see her its under my watch and at my home. Legally I do not have to do this but I believe he should see her but more than half the time je does not want to. Until his paternity is established ... which he will not do I do not have to let him see her bit she should. Hope some of this helps!

    Answer by 1sttimemommy197 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2013

  • I would defintly call the police if things start getting nasty but you should allow him supervised visitation with your son as hard as it is it's still her father. Good luck.

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

  • Nothing in writing you and lack of communication you do not have to let the child go, but I would get an attorney now and get a legal visitation drawn up to avoid this problem.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

  • You should get a court order in place asking for supervised visitation even if he does not exercise this right. It protects you and the child in the long run.

    Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

  • He could push it and bring in the police saying you are denying him his rights to see his child. Personally I'd see an attorney and have the custody issued settled in advance. As much as I want to say I wouldn't let him unless there is a restraining order then the police would most likely side with him.

    Answer by baconbits at 11:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

  • No, not without an order. You need to contact an attorney though.

    Answer by 3libras at 11:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

  • I wouldn't let him go, but I would call an attorney immediately to make sure he doesn't get unsupervised visitation.

    Answer by ohwrite at 11:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

  • I wouldn't allow it

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

  • If there's nothing in writing I would only allow supervised visitation. I would never let the child go with him anywhere until something's in writing.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.