Visitation without a court order

My ex an I just split very recently. There is no court order for custody or visitation and he hasn't even called to ask about our ten month old son. If he comes to see him suddenly do I have to let him go? Considering I left because he physically abused his son from a previous marriage and is currently under investigation I would think not, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If there's nothing in writing I would only allow supervised visitation. I would never let the child go with him anywhere until something's in writing.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I wouldn't allow it
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I wouldn't let him go, but I would call an attorney immediately to make sure he doesn't get unsupervised visitation.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• No, not without an order. You need to contact an attorney though.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• He could push it and bring in the police saying you are denying him his rights to see his child. Personally I'd see an attorney and have the custody issued settled in advance. As much as I want to say I wouldn't let him unless there is a restraining order then the police would most likely side with him.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• You should get a court order in place asking for supervised visitation even if he does not exercise this right. It protects you and the child in the long run.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Nothing in writing you and lack of communication you do not have to let the child go, but I would get an attorney now and get a legal visitation drawn up to avoid this problem.
    Anonymous

• I would defintly call the police if things start getting nasty but you should allow him supervised visitation with your son as hard as it is it's still her father. Good luck.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Get a court order! It is a must! My daughters father and I have not been together since I was 3 months pregnant. He is a alcoholic and my lawyer told me court order and mandatory supervised visitation only. If you let your baby go and he is on birth certificate then he can legally keep the child until you file for custody. My babys father is not on birth certificate so if I allow him to see her its under my watch and at my home. Legally I do not have to do this but I believe he should see her but more than half the time je does not want to. Until his paternity is established ... which he will not do I do not have to let him see her bit she should. Hope some of this helps!
    1sttimemommy197

Answer by 1sttimemommy197 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2013