When Dad has a Temper

I'm worried about my little girl because her dad gets mad and yells a lot and sometimes kicks things or throws things. Last night he grabbed a pair of slippers from her after she refused to carry them upstairs. He threw them up there and hit the wall. He won't hit her or hurt her because he's a good guy and never has but I can see how his anger has passed on his temper to his other kids who live with his ex and I don't want that to happen and I can already tell she's picking it up because she yells rightback at him and yells at me. She's five. What can I do to teach her that yelling and throwing things isn't okay if her dad does it? Besides telling him to knock it off which I do and we had a bad fight about what he did last night but he says that's just the way he is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• anger management. It's not realistic to tell a small child to do as you say and not as you do - they are mirrors of their environment and the only way to change that reflection is to change what they see.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I think anger management classes are a good idea for him......

Answer by older at 12:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• He needs anger management now.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• oh, and you can fight with him until you are blue in the face. He needs to seek help for his anger problem for it to change. You can't change it, you can't love it out of him, you can't demand he change, but you can demand he seeks help.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• My husband gets in his bitch fits from time to time but he has never hit or thrown anything or acted out in any kind of violent anger. That would scare me, even if he wasn't hitting the kids. I think you should do SOMETHING though I don't know what if he won't listen.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Same boat. I try to lead by example and not get mad.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• My ex has a temper. That's one of the reasons I left him. I wanted them to know that is NOT okay.

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Sigh... tell him to grow the fuck up!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• you either make him grow up and get help, or you let your DD grow up to be an angry person too. "do as i say not as i do" is a failed parenting ploy...it works maybe 5% of the time.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• when my son was small he and my husband would lock horns regularly.My husband is pretty tolerant, but my son was always stubborn and sometimes would debate as to why he had to do something my husband asked. My husband would get angry and I would try to "soften things" between them, but then it seemed like I was taking sides w my son. Even now that he is grown ( he still lives home) he and my husband will get "into it " verbally and the next morning after my husband has gone to work my son will say to me "what was up w dad last night ? I just try to sweep his outbursts under the carpet by saying "you know he always has to be right " They are both kind of stubborn, and my husband never tolerated what he perceived as "back talk" It breaks my heart because my son really is a great kid (adult) and at times I think my husband just needs to be right even if he isn't. I hate being the "peacemaker" !
    oldbrunette60

Answer by oldbrunette60 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2013