Has anyone used Fenugreek and did it work??

Has anyone heard of this herb or used it before to increase milk supply in breastfeeding? I have my baby in 3 weeks and want to bf...but am afraid my supply will be low like with my first baby. What about the tea called mother's milk tea? If anyone has used these let me know how it turned out for you. Thanks

Jakesmom1107

Asked by Jakesmom1107 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I tried fenugreek, but it didn't work for me (with my second). I found out later to try belssed thistle with it as well. I wanted to increase my supply so I could pump. I wasen't able to so when I had to leave her she would have formula. I also tried the prescription from my dr, can't remember what it was called, but it's to increase milk supply. Didn't work either. With my 3rd now I am able to pump, go figure!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• All of these things DO work. But make sure that you correctly diagnose your supply. A lot of moms think their supply is low because:

1. Baby is crying (that means nothing)

2. Baby isn't gaining what the DOC thinks he should (also means nothing...breastfed babies lose up to ten percent of birthweight and then regain at a mere 4-6 ounces a week...it can take a month to get back to birth weight).

3. They're not pumping much...also means nothing because baby gets more at the breast.

The ONE TRUE indicator of your supply is the number of dipes you change. One per day of life for the first week, 6-8 per day thereafter, content doesn't matter.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for lots of help...including a sticky post on ways to increase supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I drank mothers milk tea to help my daughter with gas. I agree with what the abpove poster said, don't be bullied by the Doc because the baby does meet the standards by which they measure formula fed babies. Join a good BF support group, I am sure you will be fine!
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 2:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I used fenugreek after my first baby, it may have worked but it makes you smell like maple syrup, taste maple syrup and your sweet will smell like maple syrup. It was to overwhelming for me so I stopped but I would try it again. I did have a friend who used it and despite the maple syrup taste and smell she loved it! Good Luck Please let me know if it works for you :)
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i've heard that mothers milk tea is great. Definitly don't let your pediatrician make you nervous about your baby's weight. My daughter was itty bitty (20 percentile for weight) and he constantly tried to get me to supplement but I felt that she was doing just fine. I stuck to my guns and she is perfect. She is still a skinny little girl at 2 and she eats like a horse! Go by your instincts and you'll be fine.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thanks all! I really want it to work this time....just need more info and support!
    Jakesmom1107

Answer by Jakesmom1107 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I used it when bfing Ava and it worked really well for me. I even have a bottle of it left so I will try to remember it when I see you at the museum on Wed. Send me a text reminder if you can. From what I understand you don't want to use it right off the bat. Let your body make the supply and make sure you are drinking lots of water. Have soup for lunch and eat lots of things that are watery. I would just it whenever Ava seemed to be nursing all the time and I wanted to make sure I had enough. I would take 2 pills at a time and about 2 times a day. I would only have to take them for 2-3 days and I would notice a difference right away.
    Novbabyontheway

Answer by Novbabyontheway at 11:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2009