PSA: THIS is why one should NEVER be on any kind of technology while driving.

The kids that I take to school (9, 5, 5) and I were standing on the corner of a busy intersection, away from the road, waiting for the crosswalk to turn green (walking man). A car pulled up, not paying attention to anything at all but whatever was in her hand. The car (small SUV) stopped just short of the crosswalk. We saw the walking man, and started across the street. The car still wasn't paying attention and hit one of the 5 year olds. That child is now at the ER with a broken leg. The driver never even saw us, was too busy on her phone and the traffic, never once looked at the sidewalks for pedestrians, even though that particular light is situation between two different school zones.

And to make this a question: Please pray and send healing thoughts to this little girl. Her birthday party is coming up March 16th and now I don't think she'll be able to go roller skating like her mom and I had planned. Our girls' birthday's are 6 days apart and we were planning a combined party.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 12:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's a sad situation but she lived and only has a broken leg which will heal thank goodness. I hate to say it though but it goes both ways. Locally a guy was almost killed because he was too busy texting and looking at his phone that he walked right into oncoming traffic. Another man was killed doing the same thing unfortunately the car didn't have time to stop as he came from between 2 parked cars. People in general need to pay attention to their surroundings and not what someone is texting them. Texts can wait until you are stopped (whether walking or driving).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Yeah that scares me. A nanny and the 18 month old boy she was caring for were just killed in a crosswalk in our neighborhood. The nanny died on impact and the little boy only lived because he was properly buckled into the stroller which got caught at a lucky angle underneath the SUV that hit them. He got away with just a few scrapes. The driver of the SUV was a 20 year old girl who didn't even see her red light. Tell me she wasn't on the phone!!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• So horrible. Hopping the little one recovers in time. Hugs
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Omg! Prayers for her, the family and everyone that witnessed it. I said yesterday in the middle of "Hell" aka Houston that 99.9 % of people we notice driving badly are on the phone. I want a bullhorn to yell at them to get off the dang phone!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• The ONLY thing I could have done differently was have the kids wait just a bit longer because I could tell she was going to make a right turn on the red, and that she hadn't seen us when she pulled up.
    Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) 4 minutes ago

^^^Good lesson for everyone! Be sure you see the driver's eyes & make that connection w/ them before crossing the street!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• How terrible!

A teenage friend of our family was texting recently and ran her car off the road into a field. She hit a fence post and did two thousand dollars of damage to her car, but fortunately nobody else was around and she's okay. It's so scary.

A blind acquaintance of mine and her sighted four-year-old were recently hit by a teenage driver in a pickup truck who was eating lunch, and the road was icy. It's really scary.

I hope that girl heals fast.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I'm glad she's ok. A little 6 year old girl here died last year in a crosswalk.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Oh that's horrible! How traumatic that must've been for all of you with that little girl. And that poor girl, right before her Bday! (Not that there's ever a good time to get hit by a moron driving thru your school zone) I hope she heals quickly. *hugs*

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I am so glad no one was seriously hurt! The poor child. As for the woman lets run her ass over with a fucking car.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• That's horrible!!! I swear I would have pulled her out of her car and beat the snot out of her if I saw that!!

Sending good thoughts for that little girl!! ♥
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2013