Hyperemesis

I have a 6 week old baby, and while I was pregnant with her I had hyperemesis, which is a severe form of Morning Sickness that goes above and beyond the call of sickness. It was so bad I had to quit my job and never went anywhere during my pregnancy. I stayed in bed most of the time and lost 25 lbs. I also was diagnosed with Anemia and passed out a couple times, in a Walmart once --- uber embarassing by the way.

KNOWING THIS --- I really want more children, but I just hate the 9 month process [or in my case, the full 10 months and 2 days]. Whats the chances of me having the same issues this time around? How many of you experienced hyperemesis? Am I stupid to want more? When would be a good time to have another baby if the possibility of me being so sick is still there?

lilmizzie27

Asked by lilmizzie27 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, most books on the matter suggest letting your body heal at least a year after you deliver. Your body has had a major rush of hormones and is going to need some time to recuperate, not to mention the uterus and other organs around it need to settle back into place. And right now, your newborn is a pretty manageable blob, wait until they are crawling/walking and you spend most of your time running interference with them. You may rethink the whole situation then. But no you're not crazy to want another one. I have an 8 mos old and I have wanted #2 since I brought him home, but with the economy right now and work, I wanted to wait at least a year. Only you can really answer the ready question, but if you want to try at less than a year, run it by your doctor first. That way you guys can have a game plan if the hyperemesis comes back.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) is a serious illness which affects anywhere between 1-11% of pregnant women usually starting during weeks 4-6 of pregnancy. The actual statistics of women affected are unknown as HG is only now starting to be taken seriously by the medical community but research is still limited. Hyperemesis may subside around 21 weeks however it often continues in some form until the baby is born.
    The risk of hyperemesis was 15.2% in the second pregnancy in women with and 0.7% in women without previous hyperemesis. The OR did not change after adjustment for maternal age, change in paternity, period of the first delivery and time interval between deliveries. After a change in paternity, the risk of recurrent hyperemesis was 10.9% compared with 16.0% in women without a change in paternity .
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 5:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• The risk of hyperemesis in the second pregnancy increased with increasing time interval between deliveries, but only in women with no previous hyperemesis
    sunshine89

• I lost 20lbs before I was put on Zofran. It helped but I still threw up daily...right up until the time my son was born. I never got a break! My midwife said you might or might not have HG again. You could just have normal morning sickness, or you could have HG but not as severe or lasting as long. There's no way to tell. We want another baby too...our son is going to be 3 next month. I was so scared of being that sick again (didn't drive for 4 months, could only shower if neighbor or hubby were in the house in case I passed out, didn't do anything but veg in the house & get sick!) and not being able to care for my child. At least he's a little more independent now, self-weaned from nursing & potty trained. I totally know what's going through your mind. Talk to your Dr., and I'd wait at least a year for your body to heal & hormones to level out. Whew, sorry that was so long. lol I just know your pain!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I had a perfect first pregnancy with minimal sickness etc...no such luck this time. I was sick from conception (i swear lol) to about 4 months and then again after 7. So unfortunatly there really is no way to give you solid facts because each one can be so opposite. the only real way to answer your question is to tell you to wait until you can imagine being able to handle your previous pregnancy again, hoping that it will be better, but preparing for it to be the same. You are absolutly not crazy to want more, your little ones are worth 10 months and 2 days of hell, even though it may not feel like it a the time :) Congratulations on your litte one and good luck with the future babies!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I had horrible hyperemesis with my first pregnancy. I threw up multiple times every day for most of my pregnancy. I was hospitalized 4 times because I was so sick. My daughter is now 20 months old, and I'm 4 months pregnant. I'm still puking all the time. Every day. It's horrible, and worse this time because I can't just curl up in a ball in bed...I am busy chasing a toddler around and trying to put on a happy face because that is what she deserves to see. This will be my last pregnancy and I feel crazy for even doing it again. My husband is a saint and gets up with me during the night when I throw up, but it's hard on the whole family. We've decided that if we want a third child, we'll adopt. I can't go through this again.

StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2009