Co-ed sleepovers?

What are your thoughts on co-ed sleepovers with teenagers? My teenage son asked me if his "girlfriend" could spend the weekend with us and DH and I are against it. DH explained to him that she can come over to visit but needs to go home at a reasonable time. 9 during the week and 10 on the weekends. Does this sound unfair? Also, if she does visit during the week, they stay in our living room and are not allowed in his room. I am trying to give him some space and privacy but I don't want any unexpected situations to come up. My son says that we are treating him like a baby because his best frined is allowed to have his "girlfriend" spend the whole weekend at his house and they sleep downstairs together with no adult present. DH and I disagree.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Sure,just as long as your DH sleeps in his room with him,and the GF sleeps in the same room with you.
    He won't go for it,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• No way in hell would I allow my kids to have their boyfriend or girlfriend over night. That's just asking for an unplanned pregnancy.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• As buttlerfly said, and if you are so far apart that traveling is out of the question, did you ask him why this was important? Maybe the girl has a yucky home life or something, so if she was willing to sleep in my room with me ( on an air bed) I might consider it, we live far out in the country, and I have let my kid have opposite sex spend the night with us, but in our room, and they know I am a very light sleeper, LOL!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• No way will that ever happen at my house.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Not a chance
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Nope! Never happened at our house. Our rules were pretty much the same as yours. The friends of either sex were welcomed at our house, were expected to go home at a reasonable hours(I like yours!!), and they were expected to entertain their opposite sex friends in the family room and never in their bedrooms. Our children abided by those rules, and they lived with us well into their college years--well, through undergraduate school. So I say stand your ground. Just because everybody else is doing it doesn't mean squat!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Very bad idea. And for his protection, too. Suppose they get into an argument and she tries to claim he did something? If they're downstairs, there are no witnesses, and something like that can be devastating to a guy's reputation into adulthood. Beyond the obvious temptations of sex and pregnancy before they're ready, I just think letting them havethat much privacy would be treading on dangerous ground.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

•  And not even then!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• OWE HELL NO!!!! He can  have a fit all he want. I am like this. The only people having sex in my house is me and my DH. Unless you want a grandchild?

Just remember which friend is allowed to do that. And do not allow him to spend the night over at that friends house.

Answer by louise2 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2013