Thoughts?

Is is ok to buy your teenage son condoms if you know for a fact that he is not sexually active? My son's (who is 14) friend's mother bought them for my son's friend and told him that she wants him to be protected when that time comes? Now my son is asking me if DH and I would consider buying them for him???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Wouldn't you wait until he IS so he's not using dried up ones that will fail?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• What's the point of having them if they are not sexually active? That is a bit young too. They could rot before he gets a chance to use them. Tell your son, when the time comes you or your husb. will take him shopping for some.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I would do it, safe sex.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Agree with ButterflyBlue, if you are going to get them, make sure they are good and not about to expire. The ones from the health clinic suck and those are the only condoms I have ever had break. So I would wait until he actually is sexually active, have the talk, make sure he knows how to properly put it on and then get them.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• He should just buy them himself when the time comes... What an awkward talk to have with your parents.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I would just tell him, yu will think about it later when he is ready to have sex.

Answer by louise2 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• How do you know he isn't sexually active? Is he telling you that? I think if he's asking you to buy condoms, then either he feels bad because his friend is getting them and he doesn't want to seem behind, or he's at least thinking about sex. In either case, I'd probably just buy a few condoms and throw them in a bathroom drawer, then tell your son you'll replace those when they're gone, no questions asked. And that he can talk to you any time if he has questions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Its best to be prepared.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• We told our children that sex was for after marriage, and they believed us! We never assumed they would do otherwise, and we never even discussed birth control with any of them because we and they knew they didn't need it. I do not understand why it is so easily assumed that children are going to have sex before marriage and we have to protect them. Why can we not still teach them that sex is for marriage and then help them keep themselves pure until that time? And a 14-year old? Our children would not have had opportunity to have sex at that age unless they could have hidden long enough somewhere at school. We taught them that dating was for the purpose of selecting a mate for marriage that would last a lifetime and we taught them how to look for a compatible mate. Sex didn't have anything to do with it, except they were to be of the opposite. It was about character, integrity, respect and real love. What happened?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• He can get them free at the health dept just by walking in and sticking his hand in the jar, no questions asked. I bought a big box of them and kept them in the hall linen closet for my children. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Of course that was after 2 of them became parents. I wish I had done it much sooner but teen sexual activity can sneak up on you. If he carries it he can't come home and say mom, I got a girl pregnant...."it JUST happened" if he has a condom in his wallet.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2013