Yes or no?

we are going to be below zero until around 2pm. do you think there will be school or will the board of education make the kids (90% walk) go to school?

i'm hoping not, we're in the group that has to walk and we have to leave the house before 6:30 in order to get them to school on time.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2013 in

• Your dd could be right. Missed days due to weather are added on to the year in the spring if your school closes too often. Most schools schedule enough days to miss one or two and be ok. More than that and summer break is postponed
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2013

• Ugh.... I hope not noel, but growing up by Chicago, we had plenty of those types of days. Yuck!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• My guess would be yes but watch the news for the updates.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Where do you live where people don't walk when it's below freezing?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• SWasson - below zero is a hell of a lot colder then below freezing - dangerously cold if not protected and out too long.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• In the area that I live in, it has to be so many degrees below zero.... like -5 or -10, I don't really remember the exact degree, before they will call off school, & a large amount of the elementary & middle school kids walk, & all of the h.s. kids do too.... I feel for you, but I wouldn't count on school closing, especially if it's been closed due to sickness already... they try to limit it... =-(
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 8:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• It was nearly 20 below last month & transportation was cut to anyone who was under 2 miles. The powers that be thought walking 1.9 miles in that crap was OK I guess, b/c we had school! I'd like to see them walk that far in that kind of weather! So unless the buses won't start, then I'm guessing you guys will have school. Sorry.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• the kids have to get bused to a different school, and the school that they have to walk to refuses to unlock their double door even though i've called and complained to the board and told the principal that i was going to call the media if he didn't open them. he'll open them for the rest of the week, but on mon they are locked again. there are three buses that pick up and drop off kids from that school, and they all have to stand outside and freeze.

there have been six schools that closed because more than half the students and staff caught the bugs that are flying around.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• my oldest just got mad at me for posting this question. she says we're not allowed any more snow days. only two hour delays. that way school won't last longer than it's suppose to.

gotta love her logic
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2013