What age is make-up ok?

i have three girls 11, 8, and 6. and my younger two love getting their nails done. but not my oldest. but for some reason she wanted them done this weekend. so i spent sat doing all three of their nails and daddy said our oldest can use eye liner. i think if she's able to use eye liner then she should be able to use eye shadow.
or am i wrong?
my older sister was putting make-up on me when i was 9 so i'm not sure.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• Just for fun or to be out in public? If it's for school, then I take a more old fashioned approach to that. They have such natural beauty, why start wearing makeup too young? Lip gloss is fine. But the rest can wait until at least 13 (JMHO)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• To play around sure but for every day no. The national average is 13, I believe and I think it is way too young. What message are you sending.
    I think kids suuld be children just as long as they can. They do not need to grow up too fast.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• 8th grade

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• right now they believe make-up is just for halloween, because that's the only time i pull it out. they wear lip gloss (chap stick) and now nail polish and that's all. but they will only wear the make-up inside unless it's halloween
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I have 3 girls. My oldest is almost 8, middle just turned 5 and last is almost 19 months. I have painted their toes since like 3 month-old. I didn't do fingers until 2. My oldest got her first make up at 4 and my middle was 3-4 years. I let them wear.very light colors around the house and when I do my makeup I put a little on them if they ask and sometimes I find them putting makeup on their little sister lol, but if we go somewhere it is to be washed.off. I am not sure how old they will have to be to wear it outside the home, but do know no earlier than 6th grade. Could be later though haven't decided yet
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• It is just for fun it is ok but 11 or younger are too young to be wearing it in public.....

Answer by older at 8:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• My 11 yo is in 6th grade and many of her friends wear makeup. She is allowed to wear clear mascara and lip gloss. For school dances I did light eye makeup.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• she's in 6th too, and she just doesn't seem interested in the other stuff. i've got kid colors and ones with glitter in it.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• 7th grade is when I let mine start
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• Oh lord. My daughters are 7, 4 and 20 months and grandma's favorite thing to do with them is paint their nails and do their makeup. As long as it is in the house, I don't think it is much different than dress up.

As far as out of the house, would say "sometime in middle school" depending on your child's maturity.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2013