How much do you really know about the epidemic of childhood obesity, prevention, and health effect on our nations children? Take this quick quiz and find out!
1. What percentage children ages 2-17 in the United States are affected by childhood obesity?
2. A child is considered obese when body weight is _____ % higher than recommended for their height and body type.
3. Children who are obese between the ages of 10 and 13 increase their risk of becoming obese adults by ______%.
4. How much exercise is recommended for children
a. 20 minutes, 3 times per week
b. 30 minutes, 5 times per week
c. 45 minutes on most days
d. 60 minutes on most days
5. Which of the following methods are effective in getting kids more active
a. Limit screen time
b. Encourage them to go outside to play
c. Sign them up for a fitness class
d. All of the above
6. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the following screen time limits for children
a. No screen time for children age 2 and under, 1-2 hours a day for kids 2 years and up
b. 4 hours per day
c. 2 hours per day on weekdays and 4 hours per day on weekends/holidays
d. 21 hours per week with a balanced diet and exercise
7. Which of the following has the most sugar?
a. 8 oz. ready to drink chocolate low-fat milk
b. Sunkist orange soda
d. Orange Juice
8. What percent of obese children ages 5-17 years old have at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease?
9. Which is not considered an immediate health effect of childhood obesity?
b. Sleep apnea
c. Poor self-esteem
e. Bone and joint problems
10. Meals should consist of 50% of the following
c. Whole grains
d. Fruits and vegetables
1b, 2b, 3d, 4d, 5d, 6a, 7b (followed by a), 8c, 9a, 10d
Answer by noel1978 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2013