Was this a scam?

i've been talking to our health insurance trying to get a dr that is closer to us. because they want to send us to a dr 45 miles away. anyway the other day i got a phone call from someone saying they were from my insurance, started saying that they needed to verify a few things to get me going. name, address and email, that's all normal. but then they asked for my height and weight. now while this call was taking place i was ripping apart my house looking for my youngest's glasses. so i wasn't really paying attentin to what they were really saying. until they asked that. instead of answering their question i started asking her questions of my own. now i should also state i'm on welfare insurance, and i know they don't ask those questions. soon as i told her that she hung up.

should i call the insurance and tell them what happened? i have their number in my phone should i try to call them back or just leave it alone?

i was busy trying to the glassses or else i would have called the number back right then and there. but now i'm not sure what to do.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2013 in Health

• did you say that you still have the number?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• if you still have number
    no harm in calling it back
    start there
    it could be nothing
    if acme insurance has a recording that they are closed and their hours are...
    then you can sleep well tonight

do they ask you for ss number? or anything else that is a red flag?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• You never give out personal information over the phone, call the insurance or who ever if this is their policy.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• truthfully if they did ask, i couldn't understand her. i really couldn't understand half the stuff that came out of her mouth. but now that you mention it, the ss number is the firs thing they ask when i talk to them. and it's only the last four, i didn't even think about that at the time.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• I would call. Better safe than sorry.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2013