my baby is 6months old has bad cough runny nose an fever an chokes when coughing dr said its viral but she dont seem like shes getting better i have read online not to give bendrly well she gave my daughter it ??

dannrella

Asked by dannrella at 1:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DO NOT GIVE HER BENADRYL!! If it viral, you just gonna have too wait it out. Benadryl is for allergies PERIOD. And if she is running a fever, its not allergies, its a cold. Take that mucus bulb and suck out the excess mucus out her nose. She will hate it, she will cry and scream, but she will breathe better. Do you have any Vick's baby rub?? You can put some on her chest that ill ease discomfort, you can also put it on the bottom of her feet also and put some socks on. I know it sounds weird, but it does work its tried and true.
    If her fever is over 103, take her to the ER or if she appears to be having a hard time breathing. Just make sure she drinks plenty of fluids like her formula, Pedialyte...But you are the mom, and if you think she is worse, then by all means take her in. The doctors will not fault you or think you are a over reactive mommy.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• The benadryl will help treat the symptoms even if it's viral - you don't have to have allergies to take/give an antihistamine!! Doc is treating the symptoms so your baby can rest and fight this off. I can't speak as to if it's OK to give the meds to a baby that young... that is really for an MD to decide. Call your doc to verify if you think it's wrong!!! I've also read that you should NOT use Vick's on a baby this young. Consult a LICENSED PHYSICIAN for all this... not strangers on the Internet who's credentials you can not verify!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• My dr used to recommend Benadryl when my kids were babies too. You should never give any OTC meds to a baby without the advice of a physician, but that's what they are there for. Do not use Vicks, baby Vicks is okay but doesn't work as well because its missing the ingredient that makes it work so well in adults.

Answer by missanc at 5:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Run a vaporizer/humidifier in the house
    Use the bulb syringe to suck out the boogies
    Keep her head elevated when she sleeps

I used to give my son massages when he got colds. It helped break up the mucus. Warm up a bottle of lotion in a bowl of hot water,and give her a nice back and chest/belly rub. She'll love it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• It is that time of a year in which viruses are a concern some of them very bad and with long term issues and since they manifest as same as mild viral infections you may seek further medical advice.
    NoHope7817

Answer by NoHope7817 at 7:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• Obviosly you are not giving her a regular childrens dose right? I would make her sleep with her head elevated such as in a baby swing. Use "Ocean" nasal spray, just drop it in don't squirt. Give her Tylenol if she has a fever.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• The dr. knows what she is doing. Try and relax and just care for your little one. Run a humidifer and rub vics on her chest.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2013